Antique Sound Lab Hurricane Problem

I just picked up a used pair of these and was as happy as a clam, because these sound really fabulous.

Until the amp blew a tube (V3) and that socket is now dead. Has anyone experienced this very upsetting behavior from this amp ? Is this a common problem and does it have an easy fix ? Or is the amp just really temperamental and needs lots of tips to the factory ?

The filament lights up, but there is no blue halo and the tube doesn't get hot. Meter reads "1" for that socket irrespective of what tube I use there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love these amps but can't afford to own an amp that is not reliable.
dimitry
One should take note, however, that the latest version (beveled front sides, extruded case) have extensive reworking of the protection circuitry and the resistor issue seems to have been resolved.

Just like a first year car (& the associated bugs & recalls), ASL seems to be learning from earlier production errors and taking corrections accordingly.

Keep in mind that there just isn't anything else out there that can offer even CLOSE to the overall performance for anywhere near the price. Priced a pair of ARC VTM-200's lately? You'll see what I mean.

Despite my earlier statement, and admitting that I sold off my "2nd generation" version of the amps, they were overall, the best sounding amplification that I ever experienced in my system.

I would be open to purchasing the latest edition (with the updated revisions) despite the minor repair issues I had with the earlier version.

BTW -- rumor has it that they are coming out with a balanced/XLR input version (something I personally wanted to always see with this amp...)
I agree with Denf. It makes no sense to spend 15K on a pair of VTM-200's when you can get the same dry, sterile sonics found in the Hurricanes for 6K. Good point.
I would respectfully disagree. The hurricane's sound is anything but dry and sterile. It has replaced a single ended amp in my system and delivers a very palpable, warm and liquid sound through Magnepans 1.6s. It has a tremendous presence and a spooky reality on voice, especially. I don't know why it sounds they way it does, as it seems a very straightforward design, but I would love someone to measure it well. I suspect, for example, that it may not have a straight frequency response - the differency between it and the previous amp were dramatic - like a 1-2 db drop in the irritation part of the spectrum - upper midrange, I guess. Usually that means less presence, but in this case it sounds like a lot more. Weird.
I certainly wouldn't judge any amplifier based on the sonics of Magnepan 1.6.
Judy, you haven't heard them with the right tubes, especially the 6SN7s. The stock tubes are marginal at best. When I owned the 'canes, I was using EH KT88s and various NOS 6SN7s, as well as EH 6SN7s. Anything but dry and sterile, like Dimitri says. Tubes make them, or can break them.