The best passive preamp

How good is one of the best passive preamp, how the transistor based bent audio or the placette or the swiss made Audio Consultant, or audio teknè, in comparision with the very best active line stage? beside the costs, is a pure quality question, for me.
alexismaster
I had the Sonic Euphoria and liked it a lot ... butthe First Sound Passive Preamp (Reference II) was a tad better resolving complicated passages.

Hope this helps
Thanks. Apparently the output transformers in my modfied CDP would not be a good fit with the Sonic Euphoria, which has an input impedance listed as 500-1000 ohms. Perhaps all passives need to be ruled out.
I would like to know what amps and CD/source components you who say the NOH was so good were using? My experiences with passive preamps (McCormmack TLC,Pass Aleph L/P, and others) has been dissapointing from a dynamics stand point...at least with the combo's I've ever been associated with.
I'd conceed that maybe there's some impedence matching issues, but not sure.
Any recommendations? I've tried passives with everthing from a few Tube amps, to Classe's, to Threholds and Pass Labs, to Coda's, McCormmacks, Meridian's, and more. I've yet to get dynamics like I do from a good active 2 channel pre in my tries over the years. And, for the same token, I've never heard dynamic results (although clear and detailed) from others passive combo's. Maybe someone could steer me to some source/amp combos to try.
Sure....I'd try the passive route again if I knew I could get my dynamics I so crave.
Anything with real transformers, as opposed to autoformers, should work. The TX102 trannies in the Bent have an input impedance of 10K to 250M ohms. They should have very little problem with any real-world source impedance. This is in marked contrast to resistor or autoformer passives, as is the very low output impedance, which is in the single-digit range over much of its travel.

I have found no constraints to the use of my Bent other than power amp gain. A pair of amps with low input sensitivity (~2v+) didn't have the dynamics when driven by the Bent that they did with active preamps. Amps with more normal sensitivity (1.5v or less) sound better with the transformers than with any of the actives I've tried so far.

I'd say to keep looking for a passive with transformers, either the S&B or Sowter.