Mark Levinson 26 pre amp

Dear sirs,

It is so hard to find a 26 preamp now. I have purchased a 27 power amp and everyone told me I should match it with 26 preamp but I just can't find one in ebay or Audiogon for few months already. Can any one help?
ken1967
Here are the original list prices (as of 12 years ago!) which came directly from Mark Levinson:

No. 26 (w/ on board MM phono) $4995
No. 26S (w/ 1 balanced inputs, no phono) $8495
No. 25 $1875
No. 25S $2995
PLS-226 (dual output power supply) $1395

I sold a ML 26 (with pwr. sup.) for $1900, and a ML 25 (without pwr. sup.) for $900 over a year ago.

I paid $2550 for a 25S (incl. PLS-226) and $2800 for a 26S (incl. PLS-226) I really didn't need the extra power supply (one will power both units) and (as far as I'm concerned) I paid $500 too much for the 25S even with the power supply, but "a bird in the hand!"

As you can see, there was also a considerable retail price difference! At that time, I'm sure the difference was component cost (not just the boards, but all of the parts.) The circuit design was essentially the same, however the balanced inputs were only available on the 26S, its PC board replacing the on board phono stage board.

The sonic differences? Think of it this way: The 26 is a very nice line stage for the money and if you have a high output moving coil or a MM cartridge and can get one with an on board phono stage, it's a tough unit to beat for the money. The 26S is in another class altogether. Most of them came with the balanced input option, not the on board phono stage. The unit just disappears sonically, which means it doesn't sound toobie, it doesn't sound solid state, it's just not there. I've heard it compared to a 380S without remote volume. Others have said it's better than a 380S. Whatever -- you won't touch the performance in a used piece of equipment for under $10K, and new? forgetaboutit!

The 25S phono preamp is one of the true "killer" phono preamps of all time. No sonic signature, amazingly quiet yet with enough gain for even 0.20mV MC cartridges, easy to change cartridge loading with the flip of a dip switch. Make sure you get the "hi-gain" unit (for MC's) they did make a low-gain version just to cover their bases I guess. To this day, I don't think anything under 5 figures really compares. Maybe a CJ, or Evans Groove+, but I haven't A-B'd them.
Thanks so much for your comment

Youradvise is so great. It seems my waiting for 5 months is worth and I shall keep on until a good Mark unit turn up. But I saw some 26 with balance input option ( or claim to have) how come?

I have a Mark 27 power amp. Sound sweet and power to me with my Proac 2.5. No matter what. I will wait for 26 or 26s. Depends on which turn up first.
One more question of 26 for Nsgarch

Where you buy the 26 or 26s? Can find in Audiogon now or can't find the one at reasonable price as you had paid for.
Ken 1967, I bought (and sold) all my ML equipment on Audiogon. I have seen Levinson 25's and 26's on Ebay but I get very nervous with Ebay, expecially if the price is way above or way below market. I got one of my units (I can't remember which) by placing a want ad on AgoN. Be patient.

You didn't say if you do vinyl. If you do, I'd wait for the S versions and eventually get a 23.5 amp, or a pair of 20.5's. If you only do digital a regular 26 with balanced inputs (and a DAC with balanced outputs!) along with your 27 amp would be a VERY respectable setup.