Conrad Johnson's Sonographe SA-250 or the SA-400?

Both of these amps unlike the MF series are Bipolar design rather than Mosfet. Although the Sonographe products are considered entry level for Conrad Johnson, there is nothing entry level about the sound quality or build quality! In fact I prefer the Sonographe sound to the MF series, maybe because I prefer the Bipolar sound now. Anyway I have owned more amps than allowable by law so when I first aquired an SA-250 I was immediately struck by the level of sound quality that it possesed. In fact this was exactly what I was looking for. This was an amp I could live with for a long time. From what I've gathered, the SA-250 was rated a Stereophile class B component, does anyone pay any attention to these ratings? Eventually I wanted more power & purchased the SA-400. Called CJ and they told me the sound of the SA-400 was identical to the SA-250 but with more power. I can now confirm this to be true. Conrad Johnson products are an excellent investment & the Sonograhe line is no different. Don't hesitate to give these amps a try, as they are major bargains on the used market.
phd
I bought a SA-250 a few months ago.I love it.Great sound,dead quiet,plenty of bass.Before that I used a couple int amps while they did sound good,no comparison using a 40 watter to this amp.I guess it is no comparison,but power is power and 125 watts is quite nice.Really does not run warm either.I think if you want the 400 you probably have some hungry speakers.I would consider it high end also,I think alot of products out there you can call mid fi,they sound good but dont take you to this kind of sound that the Sonographe can.
Coffeey, I am driving four large horn loaded speakers (300 lbs each) that have a combined total of eight 12" bass drivers. Although the SA-250 did a fine job driving these sensitive speakers, the SA-400 did it a little better. Your right both amps (SA250 & SA400) run very cool, even driving a 4 ohm load. These amps do offer a very respectable high end sound and are the type of amps you will have many serious listening sessions with, especially with a good front end. If you don't need anymore power than the SA-250 I would most definately stay where you at, as the the 250 may offer just a tad bit more transparency but both amps do excel in this area.
Maybe you have read how i like the Arcam cd 92,also have legacy studio monitor speakers and a cj sonographe sc26 preamp.I absolutely love this system.
Maybe you have read how i like the Arcam cd 92,also have legacy studio monitor speakers and a cj sonographe sc26 preamp.I absolutely love this system.
Just a question,does anybody know the differences between sa 250s.I have heard they made 2 different editions of the amp.Also does it differ with faceplates,mine has a silver faceplate.Thanks