CJ premier 8 - please share your comments

Hi - I am evaluating/listening a pair of CJ Premier 8 at home this weekend (dealer is sellinfga his demo pair).

I am not familiar with the CJ line (never had any amp/preamp from them before). I will kindly appreciate your valuable experience/insight regarding this amps. (please check my system description)

I must decide if I am keeping them or not next Monday !!!

Fernando
128x128flg2001
The "guys at AA" either don't know what they're talking about or they have some other agenda: pure poppycock as to any difficulty. If the caution is over cost of retubing vis-a-vis a solid state amp, sure, there will be more cost over the life of the amp due to retubing.

No, there was not a cost issue but a design consideration from their perspective, AA = audioasylum.com.

They called it an "engineer nightmare" biasing amps like that.

I am really liking the sound of this amp, I will ask the dealer to re-tube it for me (at my cost if I keep it) and let it run for a week just to make sure everything is OK.

Fernando
6550 tubes:

Other guys at Aa told me that the best option would be a 6550 fying c tube from Svetlana (St. Peteesburg plant), since the regular svetlanas are really sovtecks relabled from the US importer. (????).

The said that the GE valves are not good at the frequency extremes, and the Tungs are the best but pricey.

Any comments?

Fernando
Deal is almost closed! Iam keeping the CJ Premier 8 and trading in my good PASS X250, The CJ is inanother league in terms of musicality, mated great with the Eclipses and... well.. I liked it a lot.

Thanks for your feedback folks, helped me a lot.

Fernando
You are doing the right thing. I had a listen to PASS X350 and the prem8a's were better in every respect except the pass was quieter.