Ever used hybrid power amps?

I've just discovered the joys of passive preamps and wow! My sorta laid-back Meadowlark Kestrels love the detail and immediacy, but running a pure solid state amp (of the type that I can afford) this way can be a little intense. So, I'm considering hybrid tube/ss power amp designs like Counterpoint, Van Alstine and NYAL/Moscode. Anybody have any thoughts to offer? My local audio guru/tech guy favors the NYAL stuff--it would be great to hear from anybody who's used the 300, which is a 150 watt/ch design available for quite reasonable prices on the used market. Comments?
jfacker
Hi - I've used the FET Valve Audio Van Alstine amps for quite a while. Excellent amps, great detail & dynamics. Built like a tank - no problems whatsoever. I won't get into excessive platitudes, since without hearing one you can't imagine what it's like. My advice would be to try one out. I really think you'll like it. Frank is an honourable guy, and has been making reputable products for years. His equipment just makes music, not headlines. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions about the AVA line. Good luck in your search, Ed
Used to have an NYAL 300. Loved it back in the day. There are improvements to be had today. Pretty romantic sounding. George Kaye and others have done lots of mods on them, including bigger capacitors, torodial xformers (they were susceptible to mechanical buzz), etc., etc. Also have used (and still own a Llano Trinity 300, a very nice sounding unit. Beats up on the NYAL, but should at about 4X cost.
Hello,
I have owned a Counterpoint NPS400 for a few years now. What a great sounding amp at an incredible price for driving Magnepan speakers. It has a most neutral tonal balance with no fatigue at all for long listening sessions. It only gives up some of the harmonic richness and bloom of the most refined tube amps.
John
Anodyne is not widely known but their products compete with anything and everything out there. I have a signature tube dac, and 150W hybrid monoblocks. Easy to tube roll w/ one 6922 per amp, but you don't have to as Miniwatts give great sound w/o exorbitant pricing/gouging. And they are voiced to perfection on the three very different spks used with them so far. Scott is a brilliant designer, imo. Power and grace in a modest package. More than you want, and maybe all you need. Pricing will be higher than NYAL, but these are modern components, all new hardware, chassis, connectors and wire. Good luck.