Best Pre-amp for the McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe

I'm getting the itch for another upgrade. I currently am running a tubed Conrad Johnson PV10 (with phono) and B&W 805 Nauts. The room is 15 X 35...I'm waiting for a Rel Strata sub.

Is their a better mate for my current pre-amp and speakers at the $600-$1000 level. I do need a phono amp for my turntable, and I would consider buying separate equipment for this, so it doesn't have to be integrated in the Pre-amp.
whyt_rabbit
I run a hot rodded passive with my DNA 1. There are many good passives on the market, just depends on your budget and tastes. Mine uses the top of the line TKD stepped attenuator. Steve McCormack himself builds passive and active pre's.

I use EAR 834p for seperate phono stage. I had the EAR modded also and use Amperex Bugle Boy tubes and a single Sylvania 5751 triple mica in it. Love the sound!!!!

R.
In related threads, the Eastern Electric Minimax has come up as a possible good choice. You can get a new one with the beefed-up power supply and improved capacitors for $850 right now-a ridiculous bargain-totally blows away the PV10 (I have a PV10a and borrowed the Minimax to listen to in my system: detail, bass response, frequency extension, realism is all leaps/bounds better than the PV10a) (both had stock tubes, BTW). The Minimax does have alot of gain though-not sure if this would affect the sonics of pairing it with the McCormack (also a high-gain design, if I remember right). Good luck!
Dawg, makes a very good point regarding gain. Whatever your choice, a quality attenuator is, IMHO, crucial with the Mc and will pay great rewards.
whyt,
check out www.audiomirror.com. this amplifier might not have a name,but sound quality to my ear are just as good as any multi thousand dollars pre-amp..just sold my Bat pre-amp for this pre-amp and couldnt be any happier..i have no affiliate with this company..just one happy customer.