Tube integrated amp less than 12" in depth?

I am looking for an integrated tube amp that will fit in my office. I play CD's on an Underwood mod 1 Jolida 100D with Siemens and Amperex Bugle Boys, at low volumes with a Creek 5350 SE and biwired-Proac Response 1s. The sound is great but I miss tubes in the amp..........and it plays 12 hours a day.
Room size 14 X 16 feet.
Any suggestions for that "tube" sound?
The equipment is housed in a lockable closet and cant be more than 12" deep to fit. It is locked as my partner likes to come in and turn the sound off!!:) (Philistine)
springbok10
Interesting!

To be quite honest, I never cottoned to the Jolida 502B, for exactly the reasons you listed, Sprinkbok10. I always felt the 202/302 amps were much better sounding. The 801 seems to correct what the 502 does wrong, but still has a touch of that 6550 hardness.

On the cheap end, you could have your amp converted to a 302, and use the EL34 tube, which provides the midrange and treble you seem to be searching for. You would get away at VERY low cost by going down this road, a simple reconfiguring of the amp, if I am correct.

Converting it to triode at the same time turns it into a TRUE giant killer, though you may want to try that first, and run it with KT88 tubes. I think I would investigate that, actually. The JJ KT88 is my favorite "normal" output tube, very sweet, with an enticing, punchy bass, and holographic highs.

On the sonic side, you will not find a tube integrated that compares with the Jadis. At least, that was the conclusion I came to in 1999 after basically trying everything, power amp or integrated - ARC, Cary, CJ, Jolida, Manley, Pathos, Quicksilver, Rogue, VAC, VTL. As far as most other tube amps go, they may be quite good, but believe me, a Jadis is a really special product.

The only product that I found on the same level is Air Tight, so that will comprise another recommendation I can give to you. Air Tight, the Tamura transformers! Like the Jadis, not deep, but on the wide side. In my opinion, Air Tight and Jadis are the Rolls Royce of tube amplifiers, and yet they are so underrepresented/underappreciated in our hobby today.

It is a true tragedy what has happened to the Jadis brand here in the USA over the past 7 or 8 years, but as they have a new distributor (Pierregabriel), I am holding out hope for things to change. Finding some dealers in the USA would return the marque to its former glory as seeing and hearing the product really leaves an astounding impression. I honestly had tears in my eyes when I played Dar Williams' "Southern California Wants To Be Western New York" during my JOR audition - and that was with Monitor Audio speakers no less! Never had THAT happen again to me, no matter what the system.

I'm not sure that any of what you will find can sound any better than running your Jolida, converted to KT88 triode operation.

GOOD LUCK!
Trelja,
Who could do the conversion you suggest (and a very appealing one) from a Underwood modded 502B Jolida to KT88 triode operation?
By the way, I do run Svetlana KT 88s and Amperex Bugle Boys and NOS Siemens in the driver stages in the 502. I replaced the Stage 1 mod tubes (Electro-Harmonix 6550s and drivers) immediately as they did nothing for me.
It sounds like Trelja is spot on here. A KT88 amp running in triode would really sound nice.

Alternatively, if you could find an Audion Sterling MKII demo/used model, you would be loving that holographic midrange. Randy at www.ossaudio.com may have something for you, and the Sterling MKII retailed for $2100. A gorgeous sounding amp, and an underappreciated marque in this country IMO.
Good luck, Springbok10.
Springbok1, I would talk to both Jolida themselves and maybe to the Parts Connection about the triode conversion. I once heard a Jolida 302A converted to triode operation (glorious sound), and I am not sure if the guy did it himself, had Jolida do it, or Jolida referred him to someone...

I am happy you have switched to the KT88 tubes, as I like them sooooooooooo much more than 6550s. A lot easier to listen to; more tubey.

I am wondering if the "upgraded" Jolida is the source of your discontent. I have nothing at all against UnderwoodWally, in fact he seems to be one of the best dealers on Audiogon. Just that if you read one of my posts above, you will notice that I SPECIFICALLY mentioned to look for a non - modded Jolida 202.

In my experience, most of the modded equipment that I have heard is not exactly to my liking. Yes, they upgrade parts, but does the end result represent better value than the starting point? Often, a lot of the mods (such as better caps, especially those made in California) can bleach or whiten out the sound of a component. This can destroy the easy to listen to nature of these mostly Chinese built components. Their endearing nature is that they sound musical, where they fall short is usually in resolution and refinement. I think a lot of the mods often rob Peter to pay Paul. Resolution and refinement go up, but musicality and their relaxed nature sometimes is lost.

I am of the opinion that at the price of the modded equipment, I'd rather move to the Carys, Granites, and Rogues of the world.

But, modded components are hot, hot, hot, so you figure most people like them a whole lot. Perhaps, I am the one who doesn't know what he's talking about...