Tube integrated amp less than 12" in depth?

I am looking for an integrated tube amp that will fit in my office. I play CD's on an Underwood mod 1 Jolida 100D with Siemens and Amperex Bugle Boys, at low volumes with a Creek 5350 SE and biwired-Proac Response 1s. The sound is great but I miss tubes in the amp..........and it plays 12 hours a day.
Room size 14 X 16 feet.
Any suggestions for that "tube" sound?
The equipment is housed in a lockable closet and cant be more than 12" deep to fit. It is locked as my partner likes to come in and turn the sound off!!:) (Philistine)
springbok10
I can appreciate how Swampwalker feels. Getting a DOA high end audio piece, no matter who the manufacturer is will sour anyone. I personally experienced a somewhat similar situation with three Cambridge D500SE CD players I went through. Needless to say, I didn't tackle a fourth. In their defense, the C540/C640 iteration seems to be built by a different manufacturer and the build quality has ratcheted up several levels.

I will say that Swampwalker's feel on the Wave 8 is uncanny. One look inside the amp reveals possibly the worst design decision a company can EVER make on an audio component. Sadly, it is also the one thing I NEVER see any of those who sell modded units correct. Even more sad, simply fixing this one issue does more to improve the product than all of their typical mods (NOS tubes, binding posts, RCA inputs, coupling capacitors, etc.) combined. So, while I am more into ASL than many, I think the fact that I came into their game late has me not as bitter as most who suffered through owning the gear are.

The more I think about it, getting a Jolida 202 would really be a good move on the lower end of the budget. Stay away from modded units, and do not pay more than $500. Above that, the Jadis Orchestra Reference seems to make more sense to me, with its superior sonics and build/parts quality, and the flexibility of using the big tubes (6550, KT88, KT90) and the EL34, putting you in the envious position of having the amp produce more or less any tube sound you want along your audio journey. They should range in price from $1000 - $1700, and are a true bargain. Especially, when you compare them to the rest of what is produced in the audio world. Caveats are the difficulty in keeping the gold plating looking nice and a rather involved biasing procedure.
You have all been incredibly helpful - so much so that I made your task tougher byu taking out the shelfr and replacing it with a 15 inch one!!! So now I have 15" to play with. So, keep them coming!
I have a Jolida 502B at home - it's good but I want a more liquid, "magical" midrange and sweeter highs.
The Sophia EL 34 is exactly 15" deep. Opinions on this amp?
By the way, it's really hard getting dimensions off websites and I have to e-mail sellers to measure their units.
Boa2, the seller of the Audion Sterling e-mailed me that it was sold.
Interesting!

To be quite honest, I never cottoned to the Jolida 502B, for exactly the reasons you listed, Sprinkbok10. I always felt the 202/302 amps were much better sounding. The 801 seems to correct what the 502 does wrong, but still has a touch of that 6550 hardness.

On the cheap end, you could have your amp converted to a 302, and use the EL34 tube, which provides the midrange and treble you seem to be searching for. You would get away at VERY low cost by going down this road, a simple reconfiguring of the amp, if I am correct.

Converting it to triode at the same time turns it into a TRUE giant killer, though you may want to try that first, and run it with KT88 tubes. I think I would investigate that, actually. The JJ KT88 is my favorite "normal" output tube, very sweet, with an enticing, punchy bass, and holographic highs.

On the sonic side, you will not find a tube integrated that compares with the Jadis. At least, that was the conclusion I came to in 1999 after basically trying everything, power amp or integrated - ARC, Cary, CJ, Jolida, Manley, Pathos, Quicksilver, Rogue, VAC, VTL. As far as most other tube amps go, they may be quite good, but believe me, a Jadis is a really special product.

The only product that I found on the same level is Air Tight, so that will comprise another recommendation I can give to you. Air Tight, the Tamura transformers! Like the Jadis, not deep, but on the wide side. In my opinion, Air Tight and Jadis are the Rolls Royce of tube amplifiers, and yet they are so underrepresented/underappreciated in our hobby today.

It is a true tragedy what has happened to the Jadis brand here in the USA over the past 7 or 8 years, but as they have a new distributor (Pierregabriel), I am holding out hope for things to change. Finding some dealers in the USA would return the marque to its former glory as seeing and hearing the product really leaves an astounding impression. I honestly had tears in my eyes when I played Dar Williams' "Southern California Wants To Be Western New York" during my JOR audition - and that was with Monitor Audio speakers no less! Never had THAT happen again to me, no matter what the system.

I'm not sure that any of what you will find can sound any better than running your Jolida, converted to KT88 triode operation.

GOOD LUCK!