Placette Passive Owners...

Anyone had experience using the Passive as a remote volume control WITH an active pre-amp? In other words, placing the Placette into the system in line with the active pre to control the volume? If so, how did it sound - any noticable loss of musicality, added distoration, etc? Did you place it between the source and pre-amp or the pre-amp and amp? How did you adjust the gain control of the active pre-amp for optimal performance? Thanks, people.
tomryan
Listen to Mikelavigne he knows this well! my experiences with the placette active were amazing! Guy builds an incredible product.
Mike,
Thanks for the info! I was talking to a pre-amp manufacturer who said to install the RVC between the CD and pre-amp and not btw the pre and power amp. I see you did it btw pre and power amp and am wondering if it makes a difference. By the way, I will be able to use 1/2 meter of interconnect.
I have an Audio Research SP8 preamp and run it to a Placette Passive with a 1/2 meter Coincident I/C. I A/B compared it to not having the Placette in the signal path, and my ears could not discern a difference.

I chose to put the Placette b/t the SP8 and the amp because I also run a turntable into the SP8 and did not want to have the phono signal going into the placette before it gets to the phono stage in the SP8. I also have a Wadia 861 going directly into the Placette without going through the SP8 at all.

Bottom line is that I believe the Placette, when used with appropriate I/Cs, is virtually transparent.
In an experiment to prove its transparency, Placette actually recommends you placing the unit between your preamp and amps to see if you hear a difference in sound. Then you take out your preamp and then insert it back in between the Placette and amps to see if you now hear a difference. I don't know why you want to put another preamp in your signal chain but I probably would place it after your active preamp and have the Placette attenuate the volume.

Anyways, Like Mike said, as long as the cables connecting the Placette to the amps is short, then you won't have any problems. With a short interconnect from Placette to amps and a long interconnect from source to Placette, your system should sound as it should. But have it the other way around and use a short interconnect from source to Placette and a long interconnect from the Placette to the amps, and you'll suffer the loss of dynamics that is associated with passive preamps.

So judging from the results of my cable experiments described above, it was simply logical and really a requirement for me to place them close to the amps. Lengths from source to the Placette doesn't really matter so much and really minimizes inconveniences as you don't have to worry about keeping your sources close to the Placette.

I'm confident that placing the Placette in between the your active preamp and amps wouldn't do much to the sound, ie. the Placette will be transparent. What I am wondering is whether placing the Placette in between the source and active pre would improve the sound compared to the sound you get without the Placette. I am interested in hearing the results from your own experiments.
Howie,

i assume that your reason to have the Placette RVC between the source and active pre would be to add the remote feature. otherwise, there will be no benefit (it may not hurt but can't help the performance).

in my experience i can't hear the Placette RVC in or out when properly used.....OTOH it doesn't 'help'....it just 'is'.

i am not saying that the Placette doesn't have a sound.....just that so far i've not heard it in pretty resolving systems.

to answer your question; i never tried it between a source and an active pre.....it just never occured to me to try it. the closest i got was when i used it wih the Tenor OTL integrated's.....which was what caused me to go the Placette RVC way in the first place.