Tandberg sounds bright.

Just got a Tandberg 3026A 150X2 amp. After letting it run for 24 hours I gave it a critical listen and it just sounds forward and bright. I did have it worked on for a weak solder joint. One channel did drop out again but came back. Anyway, are Tandbergs all forward and bright or is this weak solder joint(and resistor replaced) causing this. I thought this was a very good amp. Comparing to a Bryston 4BSST. The reason I got the Tandberg is I could not afford one years ago and just wanted to own one now and see how it sounds. Any and all replies welcome about any aspects of Tandberg. Mike
128x128blueranger
It's a transitor amp is not a proper reply. Just like saying every tube amp sound's wonderful. This of course is not true there are bad tube designs and good transitor designs as well. I have a Classe DR-9 transitor amp that in many way's is just as musical as many good if not great tube amp's, it is a matter of choice. Tube amps do have an engaging bloom that does make them sound very musical. But some would call this a coloration.I for one love the sound of tube amps and many preamps but hate to be subjected to pricey tube's and checking the bias every week.
Sounds defective if channels are dropping out. Maybe you need to find a different repair shop.
Can't say about the 3026A, but the 3006A power amp is anything BUT bright. Its character is warm and slightly dark. I used this amp in my main system for about 15 years. The 3008A companion pre-amp is slightly bright, so the pair gives a pretty neutral overall sound. In comparison, the 3006A is somewhat darker than the Rowland Model 10 I currently use and quite a bit darker than an Aragon 4004mkII. Its sound is actually quite similar to a Cary V12 tube amp I had on loan, except the Cary had a looser bass. I currently use the 3006A as a subwoofer amp in my home theater where it does an excellent job.