Tube Rolling for TAD-150

I will receive my TAD-150 tomorrow. I read some great reviews on this unit. Has anyone had the chance to do some tube rolling with this unit. How do the stock tubes compare with other NOS tubes?

Other components; Vandersteen 2CE sigs, McCormack DNA-1 AMP, Adcom GCD500 CD, Thorens 160 C with Goldring 1012 cartridge and LINN Basik plus arm. XTC interconnects, Signal cable and FRO-ZEN power cords....

Eagleman
eagleman6722
Getting to the tubes in the TAD-150 is a bit of a chore...you need to unscrew the top screws as well as the four upper screws on either side of the unit. After you remove the cover, you need to unscrew the two screws that secure the reflective chrome "box" that sits behind the tubes, then slowly (and carefully) slide out the box.

Re. tubes, I had very good luck with a matched pair of cryo-treated Ei ECC83 (12AX7), which were also quite reasonably priced. I am currently using a pair of matched NOS Telefunken 12AT7 from Andy at Vintage Tube Services. The sound is amazing but they weren't cheap.

Interestingly, I tried one of the Groove Tube "Mullard reissue" 12AX7s in the 12AX7 slot of the TAD-60 and found it produced a bit of hum in my speakers that I don't get when with other tubes...maybe I got a lousy tube, people seem to like it.
Well, on Mike's review, I picked up 3 of the Groove Tube remakes. Put two in the TAD-150 and one in the TAD-60. Hard to compare as it is like watching a movie for the second time and seeing the parts that you missed the first time but, it appears that I am hearing more meat and bite on the same tracks as I listened to before the change. Sounbdstage remains huge maybe a bit larger but, hard to tell exactly. ext up will be to replace the two AU7s on the TAD-60...
Hello everyone, I am late to the party. I replaced my stck tubes with RCA dark plates 12AX7A/ECC83. They sound nicer but I am looking for better. I have some Sylvania 5751s coming in. I know since June you guys have rolled some more. Let's hear what you have been cooking with lately.
Bump. I have the itch for tube rolling again. ould like to hear some choices. Looking for rich detailed sound.
I have two shoe boxes full of input tubes I have rolled into the 150. I got plum obsessed with it for a while. I have now had Telefunken 12au7s in there for over a year. To my ears I have found nothing that sounds better. I have tried Bugle Boys, Mullards, various RCA and sylvania x7s and u7s as well as the Groove Tubes x7 (the only non NOS I tried). I never understood Paul's defense of the stock tubes which I found very lackluster. I know you had a 60 amp. Strangely enough I did not like the Telefunkens in the amp as I had two pairs, one for the pre and one in the amp. I ended up with some RCA 12au7 long black plates there which to my ears sound better. But in the 150 nothing came close. Many tubes were rich but none rich and detailed like the Telefunkens. It was exactly the detail I was looking for without going all the way to brittle. How are you enjoying the Hibachi amps (no grill jokes from me)? How do they compare with your 60?