Comparing sound of Tenor 150 HPs vs. Lamm M1.2

After reviewing the archives, I could not find any specifics on the similarities and differences in the sonics of the Tenor 150 HPs hybrid amp vs. the Lamm M1.2 amp. I would be looking at using these with Kharma ceramique speakers. It seems that some favor one amp, while others favor the other. While I have extensively heard the Tenor, I have not had the ability to listen to the Lamm (and may not get the chance before I must make a decision). My question primarily relates to how the two compare with respect the midrange characteristics. Thanks.
thom_y
Thom, with all due respect, I urge you to get on a plane and go listen to the stuff. You aren't doing yourself any favors by relying on others' opinions of expensive audio gear that ultimately is a matter of personal taste. Buying blind is not wise. Been there, done that. Haven't we all?

Whether or not the cost is of concern to you, I think it is irresponsible for a dealer to try to sell something at this level about which you have no idea as to its sound. It would be prudent for you to take your time and investigate all possible choices. Don't pressure yourself or allow yourself to be pressured to make a quick decision, especially if it is not based upon your own experience, judgment, and personal preferences. Be certain and confident of your choice, for long term enjoyment.

Brian
Brian, I have read your comments about the need to audition equipment and I want to offer you an alternative viewpoint, or at least a viewpoint of a consumer that you might not have experience with, which might help you better understand the viewpoint of a similar customer when you encounter one.

First of all, Thom seems like someone who has the money who wants to put together a system, not worry about whether it'll work well together, and start enjoying it. Not everyone enjoys experimentation, and not everyone wants to keep looking for something better after they had made the initial choice. If Thom was looking at an NSX, or Aston Martin, or other custom order cars, the answer would be no, he would not test drive the car before he buys it, at least not where I live. Does it matter that his personal preference (if given a chance to test drive all these cars) would have led him to a car that he didn't end up buying? I don't think so if he ends up loving the car that he bought. When something is umistakeably high quality, sometimes, different is better and sometimes, different is just different. I would like to think that a good system, like a good car, is a good system.

Kharma drivin by either Lamm or Tenors are obviously a combination that works. From reading various reviews on the amps themselves and comments from dealers, owners, and other people, you get a sense of their sonic differences which can guide you one way or another. I would think that only under special circumstances would someone be unhappy with a one combination or the other.

I actually think that it would be irresponsible for a dealer to not respect the fact that I want to buy something at this level about which I have no idea as to its sound. I expect my dealer to offer friendly advice, offer his personal truthful opinion, and take care of me. But if I've made up my mind, and my dealer has tried convincing me otherwise, I expect my dealer to then support my decision(you know a parent has to let his kid make mistakes on his own sometimes. All you can do is offer advice and tell him that you're there for him no matter what he decides to do).

Sorry to blab on but there is a saying that "time is money". Personally, I would love to fly to various places to audition, but I rather use the money on my gear instead and my time for something else. Some people love auditioning equipment, and I think it's fun as well, but I actually think that it's kind of work. When I go for a haircut my hair stylist would always present me with magazines with different hair style. I'll just tell her that I want my hair short and do what you want to do. Imagine my feelings if she nags me for another minute of my time. Ya it's good to know what you want but I tend to think that a professional (such as a dealer) would value a customer who trusts his professional advice.

Thom,
What part of Canada are you in ? Could you make a 4-6 hour drive to hear both pieces ?
At the level you are at, I think you sincerely should try to see if a dealer would let you have both pieces in your home for an audition (maybe GT audio would) or at least make a day trip to listen to both pieces side by side with the Kharma's.
The ideal would be to have both amps in your system to do an A/B comparison -
Good luck in any event.
Howie, I have a lot more experience as an audiophile and music lover than as a dealer. I've been the former for thirty two years, the latter for two or three. Having been to many dealers across the country as well as in my own area (Chicago), I've seen and heard just about every approach and lots of esoteric gear. Not having any previous experience in retail, maybe I tend to be much more of an audiophile than a dealer. My good experiences with dealers have been with those who put love of music and audio first.

Please excuse the pitch but here goes. The customer has the privilege of auditioning something I sell in his home without obligation. If he chooses to skip that step and proceed with the purchase, that's also his privilege. If he auditions the piece in his home and buys something else, that's fine, at least he gave it a try and he can always come back and can expect the same respect, straightforward advice, and home auditioning privileges, as well as a fair deal. Conference calls aren't the right way to do things as far as I'm concerned because they don't respect people's privacy and personal decision making. Likewise, you can't necessarily rely on Internet discussion posts, especially on sites where you can't tell who's who and what their interests may be.

Brian