Tube rolling advice-Manley Stingray-Help?

The Stingray is my first tube amp and I thought I would try some 'rolling. I searched the archives and got a reccomndation of Electro-Harmonix el84's with Mullard preamp tubes (I assume those are the 12at7's) This was reported to have better and wider sound staging, deeper layering and midrange detail "To die for". Since I listen to a lot of female pop-rock-and folk singers and their price is right, I may give them a try.
Does anyone else have a tube suggestion for this amp?
abbeydog
Thorman,
Yes, thanks Amperex has also been mentioned for the Stingray. I don't think I want lean here so that's good info. Still wondering about the Mullards especially for the pre (12at7's) upgrade. They are a tad pricey to pop for 8 of the EL84's but for the 2 pre's-no problem.
Anybody got a sense of what the Mullard 12at7 sounds like in comparison?
Thanks,Scott
I've aslo tried the 6201 ( 12at7 )Gold pin Mullard and found it sounded like someone layed a blanket over the speakers. Too dark sounding for me. Many like the Mullard 4024 ,but I haven't tried them .
Another 12at7 thats pretty cheap and sounds pretty good ( but not as good as the B/boy ) is a Jan Ge 12at7 ( green print ). Mid 80s vintage. Kind of a sleeper.
Sorry to be slow, but my reason on Telefunken 12at7:
The are full bodied, I haven't found any weaknesses in the bottom or top ends, they run virtually forever and really don't color the sound. The GE's really rock but aren't as musical. Mullards may have a slightly sweeter top end but at the sacrifice of bass and sheer rock. The amperex don't seem to have as much detail.
Thanks all for much helpful advice. I think the only way to tell what sounds right to these ears is to get some tubes and get started rolling.
I think I will start with the Telefunkens if I can find them.
Thanks, Scott