Advice.. Integrated vs Seperates - Low Budget..

Here's the dilemna. I've got two different dealers I deal with primarily, I respect them both and they have very different sets of opinion - which is fine :) So I'm looking for a 3rd...4th.. etc sets of opinion.

I do have a Passive Pre-Amplifier. FT Audio's LW1S2 infact, and have been using it with my NAD C350 (now looking to sell it and move to a real poweramp).

However with my limited budget locally my choice for a poweramp is basically either the Rega Maia, or the Monarchy Audio SM-70. Both of which are hovering in the $800 CDN ($600ish USD) range.

So my one dealer is suggesting that I go for the Monarchy/Passive Pre-amp which does sound very good. The other one is suggesting that I give up on the whole idea of seperates and go to an integrated in the $1500 CDN range, which would be around $1150 USD.

I know that Integrateds have been getting better and better and that in the mid - high end it appears that there are integrateds that can match some seperates (Sim I-5, Plinus 9200, Vecteur etc). But for this price range - where I'm at wouldn't this very nice Passive Pre and match it with a good Power Amp best any similarily priced integrated?

As well can someone please correct me as to the benefits of seperates vs integrated? I had thought it had a lot to do with flexibility (ability to mix n match tube pre with ss amp for example) reduced crosstalk/rfi etc.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Klassen
vaystrem
IMO the savings on the IC, which may be as much as $150, would be enough for me to get an integrated, so I did in my system. I believe in high quality wire even for systems like yours which are not high dollar but can benefit from a wire upgrade. I am sure you will get wildly different responses but I stick by my guns and recommend an integrated and take the money you save on ICs and upgrade speaker wire.

my 2 cents...
I agree with Phil. Integrateds are the way to go for me. I've had numerous different integrateds, and have also had a few different separates systems. I like the simplicity of the intergrateds, the savings of not having to buy interconnets, and knowing that you are getting a pre amp and power amp that are meant to run together. In your price range I could list numerous different integrateds that are worthing listening to. It just depends on the type of sound you are looking for. For 600 dollars, the two that come to mind are audio refinement and Musical Fidelity A3. I currently own the A3. I've the audio refinement 4 times, so I know it's good, but I think the A3 is better.
I agree with Philjolet that your interconnect, speaker wire and for that matter..power cables make a big difference. For your budget, you can stick your toe in the water of the low end of high end. Everyone here started like you are. Consider that you would be introducing 2 very inexpensive power supplies and power cords along with interconnects and you will be "missing" something that will send you into tweakers hell.

In your price range, try a Unison Research UNICO or a LFD Mistral integrated. I owned a UNICO and it was a wonderful integrated with a WHOLE lot of strengths. I currently have a BAT VK300xSE and I do not plan on going to separates anytime soon. I have upgraded cables and wish I had started there with the UNICO rather than trying to solve my desire for "more" by buying "boxes".

Do what you want as it is your money and your ears, although each option you have described above I believe would be far inferior to either the UNICO or the Mistral. If you are not afraid of used, you are on the perfect website to find a great deal of value. You can find SIM's, Unico's, Mistrals and Musical Fidelity gear already depreciated into your budget. There is an AMAZING difference when you step up above your budget as you will mostly find attention to the details that only a reasonable amount of additional money will make available.

Good luck on your quest and do what you like. All of us who have the time to "chill" on this web site have probably overanalyzed everything to the point where the law of diminishing returns has surely kicked in. Check out Ridge Street Audio cables New or used and synergistics used. BTW, what front end are you using. Rega has a good CD player but I am unimpressed with the sonics of their amplification.