McIntosh and Autoformers. . .?

What is an Autoformer, and what kind of difference will it make to the sound? I heard some B&W 803's the other day with the McIntosh 402, and it sounded absolutely unreal! I was so impressed, I am thinking of dumping my current SET gear, and going with McIntosh and B&W's.

A freidn tells me that I only want the new McIntosh stuff with the Autoformers. I don't know why. Will the 202 have similar sonic characteristics to the 402? What about the 6900?

Thanks!

B
hantrax
Nealhood, ordered a pair of ZERO's from Paul yesterday and should get a chance to see what they do in my system by the end of the week. Very good experience dealing with Paul... very knowledgable and accomodating. I'll try to write a review on the effects of an autoformer with an 8ohm speaker next week. Thanks for the advice!
I´m using a Bryston 3B (100 Watts) amp and a Bryston .5 B preamp with Canton(4omhs) speakers (2 satellites or center channels (CM4), they say you can use theam as a front speakers and one Active subwoofer (AS4)). Now a friend is selling me a Threshold S300 (II Series) with a FET 10hl or a McIntosh MC2205 with a McIntosh C29, I can´t hear them together but someone can tell me their experience with this combinations for the Canton speakers, witch one is better upgrade to change the Brystons.

Thanks,

Juan
My feeling is that preamps are the weak link in McIntosh's line. I had an MC-500 with a C-39. It sound all right, but the C-39 developed some loud 60 cycle hum (very un-Mac of it) and was sent back to the factory to resolve. Dealer loaned me a Bryston BP-25 to use in the interim. Man!! What a difference. Totally lifted the veil off the music. So much faster, smoother and detailed. From bottom to top it opened up the music like I hadn't heard before. I kept the Bryston and sold the C-39 when it came back. The MC-500 is awesome.
The newer preamps are an improvement over older models. The C200 and C2200 are both excellent.
Post removed