Can anyone help me on Audio Research PH 3SE?

Just bought this Audio Research PH3SE about a week ago. When hooked it up with the Acoustic Signature Impact turntable with SME V tonearm and Lyra Helikon cartridge, I have to crank the volume control pretty high to reach a decent listening level. The Pre amp i am using is the Classe 47.5. I have set the input impedence on the Audio Research to 100ohms. Please advise and your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
limsp
I may be incorrect,but the phono cartridge you are using has an output of about .220 microvolts.(I may be wrong on that figure) The PH3&SE are made for medium to high output moving coil cartridges or moving magnets. I own an Audio Research PH3SE also and it just doesn't have enough gain for your cartridge at 54db. And the gain on the PH3SE is not adjustable. You need at least 10db more gain maybe more. So other than getting a different phono section or cartridge. I would not want to get another either as the Arc unit is very good. I would suggest you invest in a quality step-up transformer for movivg coil cartridges. There are many to choose from such as the Ortofon units or better. Figure a $100.00 on up depending on what you get. Set the input impedance back to 47k to properly load the transformer and the correct taps off the transfomer to match your cartridge. If after adding a step-up transformer you have too much gain it can be reduced as per the Audio Research instruction sheet #79300034 available from Audio Research. This will reduce the PH3's gain by aprx. 13db. If things get too loud after adapting a step-up transformer to the input of the PH3. I am sure you can get a very good compromise. Many MC phono sections use this method to aquire the correct amount of gain for low output cartridges. I see this as your easiest and most affordable way to get everything working without major selling and buying from scratch. Hope this helps and good luck.
The helicon is a very low output cartridge.Your PH3 should
be used with a medium output cartridge.Your phono pre-amp
does not have enough output for this cartridge.

Did you put this package together by yourself?
If a dealer put this together,he should have known better!
Hi...I have the same PH 3SE but with the ARC LS 25 line stage. I have a Helikon also. I set my line stage pre-amp to the "high" level (there are 3 on the 25) and I usually set the volmne control on the 25 to about 1-2PM.....and the volumn in my room is more the fine. It may be something with your Classe?? Check the ARC web site for the level controls on the LS 25....I believe they are quite high and when mated with the PH3 it is enough for mid-output MC's.
I hope that helps....
Rick
The PH3 SE only has 54dB of gain, which is a on the low side compared to many other MC phono preamps, which are generally closer to 60dB or even 70dB. The Helikon comes in a couple of versions. The standard version has an output of .5mV, which would be considered a medium output MC cartridge. The SL version is a low output version at .23mV and is considered to be a bit more refined than the medium output version. You didn't say, but my guess is you have the low output SL version which would explain your need to turn the volume up so high. As long as it is enough gain and not too noisy for you I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise you will need to send me your SL, which will work well with my 70dB phono preamp, and get the standard version. I'll take good care of it. Or you can try a different phono preamp. One final comment is the input impedance will not make any difference in gain.