From tubes to solid state. What do you loose...

...if your priories are transparency, timbral acuracy, micro dynamics and soundstage? I am hesitant to give-up on my Sonic Frontiers Power 2, but buying tubes every so often can be quite expensive. The current tubes offered (Sovtek, Svetlana, EH) are short-lived and not cheap either. I will probably stay with tube pre-amp and go with the ss amps, like Mark Levinson...?
lmasino
Over the years I have owned tube and solid state preamps (active and passive) and amps (tube, class A and class AB) in every combination (but I never tried the ss preamp - tube amp combo). It is really a matter of preference as the sounds of each combo all have the their strengths and weaknesses. I currently use solid state for both, but had to spend serious bucks to get the sound I like. I use a Pass Labs Aleph P preamp with variable gain and an Accuphase P-450 amp, list price for the pair is about $10K. There are numerous opinions and I truly believe it is part of this hobby to find what is right for you. After 20 years, I do not feel there is an absolutely correct configuration. I have auditioned many systems and combos and found many different setups to sound equally appealing, although distinctly different. Some of the sweetest sound I have heard is from low power SET amps, but the most dynamic sound was from a pair of 500W class A monoblocks. Its all part of the disease we share to seek out our own system.

Try a used class A amp first... Krell, Levinson, Pass or Plinius for several weeks and see for yourself if the difference is something you can live with.
From tubes to solid state, what do you lose? The best explanation I have ever read on this topic said that:

Distortion shows up as even harmonics in tube gear, as odd harmonics in SS gear. Even harmonics sound musical, Odd harmonics provide a more detailed sound, but often lead to listener fatigue.