Bruce Moore Tube Amps

Does anyone have direct experience with Bruce Moore amplifiers? I'm thinking about purchasing a "Dual Mono 70" to replace an ARC VT100 Mark 2 that I own. I'd appreciate any feedback about the amp in general, or a comparison between the two. Thanks.
peter_s
Wow, an upgrade to the ARC VT100 mkII? I'd definitely like to find out more about these.
I have MFA 200C monoblocks which are rated at 200 watts per side into 8 ohms and they switch to triode mode for less output. They use 6 KT90s a side. I've had them for about 8 years and have really enjoyed them. Then again, I used them primarily with Snell Type A/IIs which are very smooth. The tube amps probably made things even smoother than they needed to be. I have had little trouble with them. I had to resolder connections to the switch on one side and to the fuse on the other side; and I had to have a part replaced on both. John Nunez who used to work on these amps with MFA replaced the part and indicated that it was a problem with that part but that otherwise they ususally don't have problems, and I can vouch for that, other than the aforementioned. They run very hot and don't have fans. Seem to have good reserves of power, good dynamic contrast, bass isn't the tightest I've heard but its there. All hand wired. Bob Bergner I think at RB Audio sells the new Bruce Moore amps and provides support, maintenance etc, as I understand it.

The new Bruce Moore amps seem bullet proof compared to the MFAs, which are more a clssic look, cosmetically. A lot of heavy metal on those new ones.

Since Iv'e changed to Revels, I can't say yet how they synergize. See the thread under amps/preamps entitled "Opinions on why this system is uninvolving", for further discusssion re that system.
Peter,
I have been involved in high-end audio as a hobbyist for several years now. I've honestly never been more satisfied with the sound of my system until I purchased Bruce Moore Audio equipment. I started with the Dual 70 power amp (traded VT100MKII). I still had my Audio Research LS15 preamp and the improvement with the Dual 70 was unbelievable. Last week Bob sent me the Companion III preamp to try in my system and I was blown away once again. The sound was full and the soundstage was wider than I have ever heard. I am in the process of sending Bob my LS15 and a check for the difference to buy the Companion III preamp. I was initially apprehensive because of a lack of reviews and awareness of the Bruce Moore products. I also did not know if 70 wpc would work with my Martin Logan SL3's. These products are proof that magazine reviews do not necessarily determine the best products out there. The Dual 70 drives the speakers with no problems. No signs of clipping whatsoever...at any tolerable volume level. Bob states that the Dual 70 uses transformers that provide substantial headroom making the amplifier perform like one rated with far more power. Compared to the ARC gear, I can honestly say the Bruce Moore gear is far less analytical sounding. There was leanness in the sound that became rather fatiguing with ARC. The Dual 70 is rich and full without sacrificing resolution, detail, and air. I would make the trade without question. I wish I had known about Bruce Moore years ago. I would have saved a lot of time and money! Another thing I really like about the Dual 70 is you can adjust the bias for each output tube before every listening session once the amplifier stabilizes. There are four small pots on the front of the amp and a bias meter indicating correct bias. This procedure takes about 30 seconds. With the ARC you are required to take the amplifier apart to adjust bias. You also need a multi-meter (preferably two) to make the adjustment efficiently. Unless you have at least three hours to spare and are technically above average, you have to ship the amp back to ARC and pay substantially for shipping and the service charges. Take the plunge and don't look back. Bob is also the most knowledgeable, honest, and unbiased dealer I have ever dealt with. Let me know if you have any further questions! I'd be glad to help.
Take care,
Sean Merkle