What Does Holographic Sound Like?

And how do you get there? This is an interesting question. I have finally arrived at a very satisfying level of holography in my system. But it has taken a lot of time, effort and money to get there. I wish there had been a faster, easier and less expensive way to get there. But I never found one.

Can you get to a high level of holography in your system with one pair of interconnects and one pair of speaker wires? I don't believe so. I run cables in series. I never found one pair of interconnects and speaker wires that would achieve what has taken a heck of a lot of wires and "tweaks" to achieve. Let alone all the power cords that I run in series. Although I have found one special cable that has enabled the system to reach a very high level of holography -- HiDiamond -- I still need to run cables in series for the sound to be at its holographic best.

There are many levels of holography. Each level is built incrementally with the addition of one more wire and one more "tweak". I have a lot of wires and "tweaks" in my system. Each cable and each "tweak" has added another level to the holography. Just when I thought things could not get any better -- which has happened many times -- the addition of one more cable or "tweak" enabled the system to reach a higher level yet.

Will one "loom" do the job. I never found that special "loom". To achieve the best effects I have combined cables from Synergistic Research, Bybee, ASI Liveline, Cardas, Supra and HiDiamond -- with "tweaks" too numerous to mention but featuring Bybee products and a variety of other products, many of which have the word "quantum" in their description.

The effort to arrive at this point with my system has been two-fold. Firstly, finding the right cables and "tweaks" for the system. Secondly, finding where to place them in the system for the best effects -- a process of trial and error. A lot of cables and "tweaks" had to be sold off in the process. I put "tweaks" in quotation marks because the best "tweaks" in my system have had as profound effect as the components on the sound. The same for the best of the cables, as well. For me, cables and "tweaks" are components.

Have I finally "arrived"? I have just about arrived at the best level that I can expect within my budget -- there are a couple of items on the way. In any case, I assume there are many levels beyond what my system has arrived at. But since I'll never get there I am sitting back and enjoying the music in the blissful recognition that I don't know what I am missing.

I should mention that there are many elements that are as important as holography for the sound to be satisfying, IMO. They include detail, transparency, coherence, tonality, and dynamics, among others. My system has all of these elements in good measure.

Have you had success with holographic sound in your system? If so, how did you get there?
sabai
Mapman and Kijanki,
Good posts and I share the same sentiments.
Kijanki your "gardener`s syndrome" sums it up succinctly.
Regards,
So there you have it. The Gardeners vs the Couch Potatoes.

[Riding in a car for the first time]
Chance the Gardener: "This is just like television, only you can see much further". - from the movie, Being There
09-23-12: Mapman
But I have trouble endorsing a lose strategy that is based on continuous tweaking. Where does it end? does it matter? That depends as well on ones goals. Having no specific goal and always tweaking and changing is as viable as any. Again to me its mostly about enjoyment.
09-23-12: Kijanki
I absolutely agree with you that tweaks, at one point, become an obsession. I call it gardener's syndrome - a constant need of trimming and re-potting.
I would like to say that, for many of us, tweaking is simply fun.

I understand that Sabai explicitly said that he doesn't tweak to have fun. But I think he is the exception. At the very least, I can say with confidence that a significant fraction of tweakers, myself included, are tweaking for the enjoyment of it.

Personally, I do lots of tweaking. I tweak my audio system, I tweak my computer, I tweak my home, I tweak my work. I don't experience it as a chore. As to whether it is an obsession, there is certainly some truth to that. But, IMO, obsessive behavior says more about the person than the activity of tweaking. An obsessive person approaches tweaking obsessively. A hobbyist approaches tweaking as a pleasant way to occupy himself on a Sunday afternoon.

My wife quilts. She enjoys looking for fabric, finding the right thread, creating the design, constructing the pattern, carefully stitching it together... In a word, she enjoys tweaking. She enjoys it as a hobbyist. She doesn't obsess about it. I try to be like my wife.

President Bobby: "Life is a state of mind." --Being There

Bryon
Chadeffect,
You stated, "I wonder how many life times it would take to experience every possibility?" Who's talking about "every possibility"? Did I say that? If you read my post again you will see that I did not. I said "other possibilities". Please do not misquote me.

You stated, "Simplicity in my experience is the only way to get true organic and holographic sound." You just happen to be wrong about this. It is not the only way. I have experienced a very different way.

Mapman,
Please answer the following questions:

1. What "tweaks" do you have in your system?
2. Do you have any Bybee products in your system?
3. Do you do series or parallel cabling?

I like to talk about what I know from personal experience. That way I can stick to the facts. Your statements are opinions sticking to thin air. Here's why.

You stated, "you make it sound like foreever tweaking and adding stuff is a good strategy to follow." May I repeat a statement that I have stated here before but that you choose to ignore: I do not have the time and money to waste on things that do not work. I am a serious audiophile who has spent a lot of money to get the best possible sound in my system. I do not play with "strategies". What you call my "strategy" has given stunning results. Since you have no experience with my "strategy" you are only left with speculation because you have no personal experience here. Just hot air.

You stated, "I am not so certain". Certain about what? That a "strategy" you have no experience with may or may not work? This is like speculating about whether you will like vanilla when you have never even tasted it yet. More hot air.

You stated, "There is only so much that goes into a recording." How much "goes into" a recording? You have missed the point completely. More hot air. The cues hidden by dirty AC are unavailable until you clean up your AC. It is the simple physics of sound reproduction. This is not audio religion.

You stated, "It is not an infinite pool of undiscovered musical detail as many audiophiles might think." How big is the "pool" if it not "infinite"? How do you know how much is undiscovered if your system has not discovered it yet? More hot air.

You stated, "At some point, improvement in one area often negatively impacts others." Whatsat mean? More hot air. I have never heard a Bybee product that negates anything at all. I have upwards of 20 Bybee products in my system.

You stated, "Wherever it may be, there is a finite limit to how "good" something can sound." Whatsat mean? More hot air. How do you know how good "something can sound" if you have not tried doing the things I have done to make those "somethings" sound better?

You stated, "But I have trouble endorsing a lose strategy that is based on continuous tweaking." More hot air. Who is asking you to endorse anything? Certainly not me. A "lose strategy"? Whatsat mean? You have no idea what you are talking about. You have never entered the race and you already know who the loser is. You would do well to visit the race track with that special gift.

You stated, "Having no specific goal and always tweaking and changing is as viable as any." No specific goal? You mean getting the best possible sound from your system is not a specific goal? Do you meant hat you consider that a vague goal? More hot air.

You stated, "My opinion is that powr and IC tweaks are probably required to get to where I like to be. Honestly, I could care less after that especially about things that make no sense to me. Not to say all esoteric tweaks are without basis, some are." Do we need to read any further to know you are talking off the top of your head about "things that make no sense" and "esoteric tweaks ... without basis". Does that include Bybee products? What exactly is your experience with them. Please illuminate us with your specific comments in this regard. Hoe do you compare the Bybee Ultra power cords with the Bybee purifiers? More hot air.

You stated, "Its when one tweaks and spends just because they "think" they might be missing something and do not know what to do otherwise. At some point it becomes an obsession almost like a drug habit. That is the point at which I would become concerned if it were me." You are saying that I "think" I am missing something so I "tweak" because I don't know what to do to improve things. More hot air. You really have NO idea what you are talking about. And I mean NO idea. You are worried that I may have a serious tweaking "drug habit". I mean, what planet are you living on?

You stated, "There are many tweaks out there that may do little or nothing and have no negative effect on teh sound though teh effect on one's bank account might be significant. Or, not. It all depends." Well, this uninformed statement can be framed for future reference. More hot air. Please let us know exactly what specific tweaks do little, which ones do nothing, and which -- God forbid -- do something good. I wonder Which Bybee products you are referring to here.

Please post when you have something specific to offer that is based on solid facts -- not merely uninformed opinions and hot air.

Kijanki,
You stated, "I believe that adding additional components or cables might bring relieve in some areas but has to lead to overall lack of transparency." Please let us know what this "belief" is based on. I do not practice audio religion. And please let us know what audio "relieve" means. I have not run across this concept in high end audio before.

You stated, "I absolutely agree with you [referring to Mapman] that tweaks, at one point, become an obsession." You also seem to be an expert in this area. How many Bybee products did you say you have in your system? I must have missed that. I have upwards of 20 Bybee products in my system. You and Mapman seem to have upwards of 20 strong opinions about unnamed "tweaks" that you have never actually tried.

To close off this post, we see time again on these forums where posters have strong opinions -- even unequivocal opinions -- about products they have never used in their systems and have absolutely no experience with. What is the value of these opinions that are based on strongly held beliefs -- and nothing more? I think the answer is evident.