For the sound, or?????

About three years ago or so, we auditioned a tube amp with a pedigree name driving a set of speakers exactly like the ones my friend owned. It was certainly nothing to write home about. Actually, it was more than a bit mushy in the top end.
After we listened to it for an hour and a half, trying I/C's and speaker placement, they had to bring it to another room for a demo.
We still wanted to try a few I/C's so while we waited for the amp to be available again, I demo'd a few D/A's they had in stock just for kicks.
I hooked up the only other amp available at the time, an old scratched up 80 watt transistor name-brand amp the shop used for testing in the back room.
The speakers immediately came to life! Detail, control, subtle layering...POOF! It was all there.

We were shocked to say the least.

The amp we had been auditioning was in the 3-5K range and the old amp that had lived on the solder bench for more than ten years sells for around $120 on ebay in good shape, let alone a beat up example like this one.

A chat with both techs verified there had been no mods to the old Amplifier.
A listen by three different salesman and the techs from the back had heads shaking and smiles all around.

(He went home with the pricey tube amp.)

When I asked him why, he said he could not bring himself to own all that nice esoteric gear and have it powered by a name-brand 30 year old amp that he would have had to hide.

While I am far less interested in looks than most, I simply cannot imagine someone spending more to get less...so the face-plates will complement each other. (Especially when the price difference was this outrageous)

More recently, I checked out a set of single driver home-made speakers. While we were playing with placement and measuring reflections, we ended up substituting the tube amp for a 35 year old 22 watt mid fi receiver.
The difference was instantly obvious and for the better...like...a LOT better.

When I left, the tube amp was back in place.

Reason? "Because my SET friends would not believe it or take me seriously with that old Kenwood receiver powering my speakers.

I cannot help but wonder how many people have spent money for less sound and a prettier/more exclusive face plate.

How many of you have actually done something like this...or been there when it is happening right in front of you?
gumbydammit
For sure, there are many people out there that have no idea of what they're listening to and buy products based on reviews and perceived "status" or whatever. But there are also many people who can actually hear the difference. Some people forget that.
This is an interesting thread. I'm in the market for a solid state integrated. I auditioned the Ayre AX5 hoping I'd love it but it just doesn't work for me. A week later I auditioned the Hegel H200. Less than half the price of the Ayre and uglier than Sin but wow was the H200 music to my ears. So now I'm thinking ill buy the Hegel H300 because it's based on their top of the line H30 (I believe). Come to find out the H300 only comes in black. I spoke to my wife about this and her reply was "oh, who cares? You need to get over your ACD". That pretty much sums it up. I'm going to probably buy the H300. In my eyes it looks like a $400 amp, has a remote that basically sucks big time, has no standby mode and only comes in black. This is difficult for me but I know I'm gonna love it. When I heard the H200 it was my "that's it" moment. If I like the H300 even more, it's a sale (albeit an ugly one).
DonJr, How many other offerings have you auditioned?

For 5k+ there are so many choices...
Not a lot honestly. I still need to check out some others. Can you make some recommendations in the 5k range that might work well with Harbeth C7ES3's? I'm looking for a fair amount of power. I'm using a Rogue Cronus Magnum right now and it's awesome. I want to run solid state with a wide deep sound stage in the warmer months. Although the owner of Harbeth says any amp over 25 watts he's full of it unless you listen at very low levels. I listen to everything but country music. Mostly Jazz in several forms like Miles, Cassandra Wilson, Steely Dan, Anoushka Shankar etc. Some rock such as Jack White, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young etc. I'll also get down to a Mozart piano concerto.
Donjr - I think the Bada hybrid they're selling over at Pacific Valve is an excellent amp and it's about $1200. The tubes are in the preamp section and run cool. I bought one of these while I was waiting for a $4K amp to arrive and honestly, I thought the Bada was more to my liking. (I don't use the term "better"). It's one of the true bargains out there, IMO. 95 wpc, so you can push the volume up if you need to. 30 days money back, so you can't get hurt. No connection to the seller, of course. BTW, I recommended one of these to Fritz from Fritzspeakers and he thought it was a great amp. If that means anything to you. I think he has a good ear for sound.