Safest way to trade ?

Hi to all of you,

I just bought an ARC SP-11 mk II preamp here on the AudiogoN market place and i was wondering how i do have to proceed to be sure to not lose my money, let me explain.
My seller hasen't any feedback yet, the add was very minimalist, there was no photos, but he send them to me on request, the price is very cheap. Also, my greeck seller says he's a 71 years old and don't have the knowlegde and tools to open it and send me some picts of the inside of the preamp.
I am sure that most of you would have past their way after having reading the add, but i have the 'feeling' that this seller is telling the truth. Altought, the experience i have into buying audio products, tells me that i have to be caution and to find a way to insure my money. Paypal doesn't cover the risk if the product does not conform to the description, which is in fact my major problem. The preamp is supposed to have been serviced and retubed 2 years ago.
So what i am looking for is a 'middle man' service or something like that. A third party, that both of us would agree, and that will keep my money safe but also insure the seller that he'll get he's money once i'll have received the preamp and checked it.

If you have any idea, suggestion, or advice please let me know, thanks.
128x128audiofeel_
There will always be some level of risk, but this is how I deal with it. If it's an amount of money I can deal with losing, then I'll take some risk. If it's what I consider a large amount of money, then I always do the transaction face to face after telephonic communication.

As far as having a middleman service insure the transaction, how much are you willing to pay for that service?
Tpreaves,
I don't believe that he bought it yet.
It does sound tempting, but I would avoid it, especially if it is out of the U.S. Wait for a domestic deal from a seller with good feedback. It will be worth the extra money you spend.
Conform to what discription, you buy or bought it sight unseen just what you know from the pictures. That is your own risk. If there is a major problem with it then you can file a dispute with paypal. What really pisses me off is people here buy used items and act like they are suppose to be right off the production line. You are buying used,if you don't like the risk then buy new products where you have a warranty.