How important is an audio rack?

The difference in opinions is almost as heated as the great cable debate. Many claim solid hardwood is best. Others like no shelves but some even defend mdf shelves. One store owner/salesman stated the audio rack should be considered the most important component, even with a very modest system! My opinion is much more moderate, but i'm curious what others think.
dayglow
We have found that racking designs and materials are extremely important to the audible outcome for any electronic component or loudspeaker system.

The majority of my experience involves applications in recording environments where you are closest to the genuine live dynamic along with the added capabilities to alter sound.

Over time we have used standard steel framed 19” EIA racking systems, surrounded electronics with various hardwoods and eventually were introduced to the use of metals versus woods, Plexiglas and all the rubber sorts.

We have worked with a recognized audio rack manufacturer on our high-end playback system where the results attained were extremely audible and much more musical. In fact we are now employing more of their methodology and mechanical grounding techniques in both the mixing and instrument rooms.

The choice of equipment racking is now considered as important as selecting which electronic component, microphone or any other form of recording and playback equipment we purchase.

In my opinion there is more study, modeling, product availability and technical achievement in the high-end consumer audio market, relative to racking technologies, than exists in the recording industry. We have also discovered that not all racks and techniques attain positive results.

Perhaps there is a common problem here on the Forum with understanding how effective racking can be and that is; if you have never experienced a rack that truly and measurably increases performance then you may never know or understand what differences exist.

Below is a link to the review that notably opened our minds to experimenting with equipment racking.

http://www.stereomojo.com/SistrumComponentRackReview/SistrumComponentRack.htm

Racking is the defining difference between sound and awe-inspiring sound.

Disclaimer: My father works with a commercial company that employs various forms of vibration management so I am biased, have had greater access to knowledge from experience and have applied various techniques and multiple grounding principles in recording studio settings.
Let me rephrase the question. How important is vibration control? I would answer that it is one of the most important things you can do for your sound.

I am one who started my audio experiencing with my equipment on 1 x 6" planks using cinder blocks between them. I incrementally had improvements culminating with my trying the StillPoints Rack. It was outstanding. I had had Mana shelves before with two Halcyonics Micro active isolation devices. With everything on the StillPoints Rack, my sound was much improved

Later I tried the StillPoints Ultra SSs. Even on the StillPoints Rack, there was great improvement, suggesting that most other isolation devices are on the wrong track.
If you have a turntable then the rack is very important. For all the solid state gear, it doesn't matter at all. No impact.

To suggest the rack is more important that your speakers is beyond ridiculous. Let's say you had $3k to spend on rack and speakers, how would you divide it up? Me, I'd spend $2950 on the speakers and $50 at home depot for cinder blocks and a 2x12.
Jaxwired, to say there is no impact of racks is ridiculous, but I agree that to spend more on the rack than the speakers is ill advised.
To say hi end racks don't work period and solid state electronics can't benefit at all from isolation or vibration reducing tweaks is insane. You probably never tried I'm going to try and remember these names so I can never take anything they say about audio on this forum seriously.