Top 10 Snafus to avoid when building a good rig

OK, I'm sure we'll come up with more than 10. Whatever.

Maybe I'll compile the top 10 once we get a few.

I'll start with my #1: avoid putting speakers that are too big in a room that is too small
128x128mapman
Sebrof:

It appears as if more and more members are beginning to speak their agreement with your statement.

Well I have lots of opinions but I rarely pay any attention to them..rather I prefer to wander in the opposite direction, not really wander but to wander is to be human and to be human is be confused and to be confused all you have to do is listen to your wife if you are married and if you get married you are confused.
Hope this will clarify my previous post on this thread.
One issue that hasn't been mentioned is components that have been "upgraded" - especially lower cost (i.e. under $500.00) items. If the original item is lacking, why aren't you looking at a higher end component, rather than something you will likely have a hard time selling later on?
Not to mention, who on earth is doing the "modification"; and do they honestly know what they're doing? Having worked in the broadcast and TV industry for over 22 years, I know of more than a few incompetent electronic technicians I wouldn't allow anywhere near my home.
Very very good posts. I enjoyed reading them all. As typical with most things, there are different levels involved and most people start at a lower to medium level based on knowledge, experience or money available.

So, to me it depends on whom is asking about stereo equipment and what they should get. Where are they in their life regarding music? So, using my experience, both good and bad, I use the experience in talking with others. Elizabeth's post was insightful and funny, but true. many other's were well written and true also. But in agreement with Elizabeth and others, here are some of mine.

1. Not knowing your price point. (which is hard to know unless and until you know what is out there)
2. Not being aware of how you would listen to music. Do you listen to music as background music, serious sit down for hours listening or a combination of both?
3. Buying a system before knowing if your Home theater will be combined with listening room? This is really important.
4. Buying before listening to it in your system and in your home. This really must be avoided.
5. Letting someone or some dealer talk you into buying something, you really didn't need and not performing item 4 above.
6. Unless it was sold at a price you simply couldn't walk away from, not walking away first and thinking. This is also really important. I never let anyone rush me into buying by threatening that it won't be there when I return or that the price will be different. I have to walk away for a time to think first. Always. If I'm rushed, I simply will not buy.
Thinking that if something is good, then more of it is better. For example... brass weights, thickness of cables, size of the speakers, watts/channel, maple, isolation devices... in fact the only thing that doesn't fit this is money :-)