Balanced vs standard power

Searching for an Isolation Transformer 10 or 15kva. I have the budget for Equitech but I'm sold only on the benefits of isolation and not "yet" on the benefits of balanced power unless one is recording live musicians. My rationale is that most if not all audio components are not designed with balanced power so they may be optimal performers with standard power and lesser performers with balanced power. Until someone does a side by side comparing isolated balanced to isolated standard power we may never know.

I have read the various threads regarding isolation transformers from Equitech 10wq, MGE Topaz etc, and the Euqitech stereophile review. For larger non-balanced options there is Ultra K 600 with K factor correction and triple shielding from the Controlled Power Company. They range from 5 to 25 kva.

I think supersizing Isolation transformers for audio is not well recognized yet because no one has done the necessary review/ comparisons to determine the performance curve of Isolation Transformer size to Audio Performance. Although Isoclean advocates the use of two of their Isolation Transformers for each piece of equipment. Maybe they're trying to tell us something or just sell more transformers. 10 KVA is "plenty" for my system according to Martin at Equitech, but "plenty" is not quantified enough to convince me, so I 'm leaning toward the 15kva on the Ultra K 600 from Controlled Power about $4000 vs Equitech 15 kVA at upwards of $14000.
natan6355
I just want to add that I think that you're thinking very clearly of a high power unit.

I was told by three different audio component manufacturers that, like a power amplifier, the more power, the more headroom for dynamic bursts and an easier handling of the load on the unit.

All three said to allow a 10x power handling capability, and I found that to be true. I started with a 1.8 Kva unit, then a 2.4, then 2.5, then 3.0 and finally a 5.0 Kva unit. I only had two components on mine, and when I finally put the 5.0 Kva, the soundstage opened up and expanded, as well as the decrease in the noise floor and a lot more micro details emerged.

Chuck
Post removed 
I have a BPT 20 amp balanced AC transformer the past 3 years. My entire system is plugged into it, everything improved with it`s use,dynamics,sense of scale,much lower noise floor, nuance, inner detail etc.
I have`nt experienced any negative trade offs, none.

The only aspect I would question in your case is the 'super sizing" of the transformer. I don`t believe the added size and expense is necessary. 10x the requirement of your system does`nt seem logical and is simply overkill IMO. It`s the same as having a 300-500 watt amp, when using reasonably efficient speakers, at most listening levels your speakers are only requiring 1-5 watts. Sometimes the headroom arguement is carried to excess(under real world conditions0.

Best of Luck,
This is what I'd look at http://www.solahevidutysales.com/cvs_hardwired_series_power_conditioner.htm for what it is worth. They've been around quite a while, work fine and last a long time.
Used both balanced and isolation with general purpose step-downs and various others.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22yzp/id10.html

For amps in general, never found much benefit for balanced AC. In fact, my Plinius amps are completely indifferent, other than needing a stethoscope to detect any noise, but I still keep them on a 60/60 diet because it doesn't do any harm. My Genesis 1600W bass amp is the only piece plugged direct to "the wall". For class A/B or D amps, even with 10X capacity, a transformer can still be a "speed bump" because those amps recharge capacitors in less than a cycle. Class A amps, with a steady amp draw, are a good load for isolation transformers.

On the other hand, preamps and sources have responded well to balanced AC. In some cases, like the SFL2, which has a power supply larger than many amps, the difference was shocking (sorry, bad pun).

Agree with Zman that multiple smaller isolation transformers are better than one. That is the point of isolation. Do you realize the weight of a 15KVA transformer?

Code issues with distributed (through wall) balanced AC that Equi=Tech has dealt with but that doesn't apply to boxes in room or on the rack.

There's also the running cost. Although they're quite efficient under load, they have an "idle" or exciting current (typically 10% of capacity). Although larger transformers have a lower percentage of exciting current, it's always more.

Gotta disagree with Jeff about the Sola CVS (and MCR) regulated transformers. They are great for their intended purpose but they're noisy and don't respond well to dynamic loads. The CVS series provides less isolation and noise reduction.

Prefer standard EI core transformers rather than toroidal for this purpose even though toroids make for better packaging. Enough online and archived discussions about this already.

Saw a NIB Signal DU-10 on Ebay for about $1200 (retail) and there's pages full of 5, 7.5 and 10 KVA GP step-downs (240V required) under $500. Doesn't sound like cost is an issue for you. Just gotta say... there's good power and better power but ain't no such thing as audiophile power.