Hurricane Irene

To all in its path:
Stay safe and be sure to unplug your system
goldeneraguy
My unit is hooked up to natural gas line and its nit as loud as one would think. Its a 37hp motor I think and with the sound insulation its as loud as a average small lawn tractor, a bit quieter I think.
After living through the Aug 13 2003 massive power failure it seems easy to assume that a identical or worse event could happen with our overloaded antiquated grid.
I must admit its a shameful but great feeling seeing everyone in darkness while you sit in comfort lol but the neighbors know in event of need the are welcome here. We are in country so not even water can be had during a power loss.
Generac units look nice, take up no more space then a average AC unit and while $5000 isnt cheap the first time you need it feels really good!
we seem short on humor at Audiogon these days...Teasing is good thing among friends and people with similar interest, it keeps the "serious" things in perspective.
Roger that, Albert. It's my life's work (inserting some levity into a pack of raving audio-lunatics), but I ask you, who better than a roller skate-shod, speedo-clad, bourbon-swilling swampthang to do it!
I am reopening this thread as I just took delivery of a 17Kw/200amp Generac with auto transfer switch that will be run on natural gas. Before I install it, I am wondering about the possibility of routing the lines to my room to the Generac, thereby using it to run the system all the time as well as backup during power outages. wouldn't wiring 4 20A lines to run on natural gas work to keep the system off the grid and guarantee a clean source of electricity?
Slipknot, I have no specific knowledge that is relevant to your question. But looking at the datasheet for what may be the model you purchased, I note this statement:
Superior harmonics and sine wave form produce less than 5% Total Harmonic Distortion for utility quality power. This allows confident operation of sensitive electronic equipment and micro-chip based appliances, such as variable speed HVAC systems.
That doesn't strike me as particularly reassuring. Also, in addition to harmonic distortion I would have concerns about how free of electrical noise and RFI the Generac's output is, neither of those things being specified. I would also wonder about how economical doing what you propose would be.

In any event, congratulations on the generator.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks Al-
That is what I came away with reading the data sheet as well. 650 cu ft/hr of natural guess used when running at full tilt, or a large part thereof every time I listen to music probably is not the most economical, and the data sheet figures concerned me as perhaps risking the addition of noise and RFI into the line...