Anyone have any experience in car audio?

I just got a pretty nice system in my car. (Focal component speakers, ARC audio 10" sub, arc audio amps) It doesn't even come close to my home system, but I guess that is to be expected. I'm having trouble getting good bass. I have always been a "EQ everything to flat" kind of guy, so I have my sub EQ'd to be flat, just as have my home sub EQed to be, and my home sub sounds amazing in my system. In my car however, it just sounds like there isn't enough bass even though it's eq'd the same way. I don't get it. It sounds ok when the car is off, but it seems the faster I go the even less bass I get. I tend to listen at about 85db, and really don't want to have to EQ the bass to 100db for it to sound equivalent to my home system, then end up damaging my hearing. Anyone have any suggestions?
nemesis1218
How is the system wired? The reason for this question is that when I had a fine car system (years ago), the bass would change dramatically when the fader was set differently. I don't remember the EXACT details, but it was something like this: If I faded more to the front or the back, the bass was amplified a great deal. This had to do with a way of wiring for two fronts, two rears, and a subwoofer that wasn't exactly "by the book" because the head unit technically wasn't set up for 4 speakers (as I recall). It worked, and allowed 4 speakers to play, but the fader really screwed up the sound. I never got a satisfactory explanation for this (meaning an explanation that I could understand), but apparently the technique used was quite common for installers at the time to "cheat the system" so to speak.

So, the point of this is.....could it be that there's a quirk in the way that your system's installed? It sounds odd, but I can attest to the fact that there are installation techniques that cause non-linear deviations in tonality.....if that makes any sense.
Most road,tire,mechanical noise is of low frequency,so it masks your bass at speed. For adequate bass @speed it's gotta be a little excessive at rest. If the subs are in the trunk they may need a little boost to get in the interior,also phasing with the other speakers is a lot more critical than in a room.Try inverting the subs phase just for fun. A little equalization may be needed. All car interiors are in a fairly small volume range which tends to give them a mid-bass hump, where I don't recall. It's been a while.
I dunno, if you say that you cannot hear the bass why don't you just crank up the bass? Let your ears be the final arbiter of the settings, not some magical number...

-RW-
First, do you have a sub-level knob linked to the amp that may be dash mounted? Or maybe hidden in the center console?

If you do, use it.

Do you have an aftermarket head unit? The gear you have isn't bad at all so I'm expecting that you spent some cash on a decent HU. If you did then you will have a Sub-level option on the HU to control the sub. And my advice is you turn it up until it works for you.

Your car is an entirely different environment, obviously. You'll need to either make the concession to less bass to save your hearing or enjoy the music while you still have your hearing.

And don't think you have to crank it to a$$clown volumes to get great bass. Just bump up the EQ a bit. You'll be fine. I've been doing car audio since I was 15. So 14 years now? I've wired all kinds of cars and done all kinds of custom enclosures and speaker installs. Never after an install have I been satisfied with the bass at 0. It just doesn't output anything worth the value of the sub.

Good luck with it. And I hope you found some good speaker cable other than that crappy stuff you can buy anywhere. That makes a huge difference too. But of course you knew that.