Dealing with a large TV between speakers

Thought I'd post this since it's a glaring problem (somewhat literally, very figuratively). I've got a 50" rear projection LCD TV between my speakers that has to be there for many reasons (HT/living room/etc). Soundstaging on the x and y planes seems OK, perhaps a little narrow, but forget about the Z plane. All the action seems to take place horizontally between speakers, with vocals perhaps a bit projected forward.

I've done the Master Set method on my speakers. They are ~3ft from the rear wall and about 7.5' apart (measured from drivers) . The TV is about 20" out from the rear wall and 4.5' wide. There is roughly 18" between the speakers and the sides of the TV.

For a better visual, I've created a drawing here that I've used for submission to various acoustic panel websites.

As you can see, speakers and TV are along the long wall, and I only have about 12' total between that wall and the wall behind me. I can't move the speakers out too much more, and based on Master Set and the rule of thirds, they seem to be where they should and they do sound good there (no bass bloat, clear imaging, etc). There is roughly 2' of space between the rear wall and my head.

What I've done so far for treatment are the acoustic and diffusion panels you see in the picture, and I've wrapped thick round foam pipe insulation (the tubes you can buy at Home Depot) vertically along the sides of the TV, which seems to help. I've also experimented with hanging a diffusion panel or light foam panels over the front of the TV to cover the front. However, I'm not noticing much of a difference with the front of the TV treated or not, surprisingly (I assumed that there would be more glare and smearing with such a large, untreated, reflective surface between the speakers and directly in front of me).

Outside of throwing a blanket over the TV (which I tried, didn't really work) do you see any way to accomplish more depth to the soundstage? Questions and comments welcome, but keep in mind, I can't move the TV.
tholt
Kijanki, I think what you need to cover that TV is not sound deadening materials, but diffusive materials. That is what works for me.

I've never liked long wall placement sound, period, but like you if I had to live with it and I had your issues, I would get a wall mounted panel TV and makes some diffusive faced panels to place in front of it. You seem to be handy and it would be easy to do.

Just a thought.
Kijanki, The material in a good commercial room treatment product such as ASC is fiber glass that comes from natural raw materials and according to every Acoustician I have talked with, synthetic materials do not have a flat absorbtion rate.

I find it intersting that you heard no difference at all. If the wall behind your listening position is not treated it could very well be the reason you did not hear the difference when you covered the TV.

Once you finish your room treatment project you will be amazed at how good your system sounds.
Newbee - Thanks, I will try diffusive as well (or combination).

I have no choice but to have it on long wall. One side of this long wall is a staircase (upstairs and downstairs) that I plan to open one day.
Rrog - You're right, my panels (Johns Manville 817) are fiberglass. I don't know why I considered fiberglass a synthetic material (looks?).
I like the long wall for many reasons. First of all midbass energy is much better on the long wall. Some speaker manufacturers recommend the long wall as the preferred setup for their speakers.

The long wall also offers a wide soundstage that is very addicting. The short wall may give you more depth, but not very likely with a TV or equipment rack between the speakers.