VTI audio rack, any good?

I would like to change my audio rack and I need a 6 shelf unit with a high WAF. Price is a major concern and I really can't go more than 500.00. Since I own 2 toploading cd players, I need sufficient space between shelfs. I would need 3 shelfs to have 9 inches between them, the other two could be from 5-7 inches.

Presently I am using a Sanus audio rack but some of my equipment is stacked on top of one another so I want to alleviate that. I have been looking at various racks and found a VTI rack that uses glass shelfs supported by 4 metal tubular columns. Each shelf is claimed to hold up to 200 pounds. It comes with floor spikes. The dimensions are 50" high, 23" wide and 21" deep. My question is, is this a decent rack or should I just keep what I have? Does anyone have any suggestions in my price range? Thanks for your help.

Bob
128x128stereo5
You get what you pay for when it comes to VTI. They look decent, but they aren't built for durability. The paint is super easy to scratch. Hopefully you won't go through the horror story I went through. One of the metal pieces was bent during shipping. So they sent a new piece, but it was also bent (or just didn't fit). They ended up sending a whole new unit that turned out to be in tact. With all the shipping, it took a month to get a rack that worked. After that experience I swore I'd never buy anything else from them.
I would actually try to find an older 3 shelf Target rack..They are built to last a lifetime and work very well.....
Bob

about a year ago I had the same situation you are in. I had a Solid Steel 5.4 and needed more space. I got a VTI.

It is hard to comment about sound differences, but the design and construction are clearly a compromise. The shelves are very thin, and as someone said before, easy to scratch. I am pretty surprised it holds the weight it does without breaking.

on the plus side, the legs and tubing can be filled with sand, granted, not a lot of it, but enough to help.
Look at the Cambre racks on the Gon. 5 shelves for $89! Or 2 3-shelf racks side by side, $99 each. Not too shabby WAF. I had one of their amp stands, very sturdy, well built, and nice looking.