Torn between two amps

I would like to use two different amps, but not at the same time. My Cary Rocket 88 sounds better with CD's and my custom OTL amp sounds better with vinyl. I am not sure the best way to hook these up in my system. I do not want to be switching I/C's and speaker cables every time I want to change source.

This is what I thought of but not sure it's the best way;

1.) I did a quick check on the web and saw a Bryston speaker switch box. Thinking I could run the speaker cables to the box and then back out to each amp. (this scares me a bit as who knows what damage can be done if both amps get turned on accidently and/ or speaker A & B buttons get pushed in at the same time ).

2.) Get an interconnect Y adaptor connecting the pre out to each amp.

Will either of the above degrade the sound?

Anyone know a better way to do this?
markpao
Consider a patch bay. You will need to plug and unplug but it is allot easier.

One could buy another pair of speakers and too.

The overlooked item here is both amps are tube amps.

These switch boxes, such as the Niles or some others do not place a load onto the B amp. Only on the A side.

Meaning neither amp should be energized if no direct connectivity is made to an existing speaker load.

Thus somehting like the Niles unit I investigated recently by talking to Niles support dept. will work, but each amp will ahve to be turned on only after the switch box has selected the amp to be used. the former amp of course must be switched off, prior to making the swap too.... as recommended by Niles.

Niles supp also said this consideration is not nearly so critical as with SS amps.

the 'purist' factors are always going to be in play around here. the real question is what's more important to you now?

Some possible subjectively apprent loss in audio quality, which has yet to be determined, or that ease of use aspect

For about $100 and two more short pairs of speaker cables, you'll find out. Do look at the Niles SP1 however.

i doubt the actual possible loss will be quite so serious that you'd trash or resell the item though... but you could of course and wind up with some exp and no terrible financial short fall.
Neither amp should be energized if no direct connectivity is made to an existing speaker load.
Excellent point, Jim. A tube amp, or at least a tube amp that has an output transformer, should never be operated without a speaker load.

I believe, though, that that may not apply to an OTL. But as a matter of good practice, and not taking any undue chances, I would avoid doing so anyway.

Best regards,
-- Al
Speaker switches and tube amps sound like an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.