Why are "low hours" a consideration?

I've noticed a lot of people selling items here that have "low hours", for both speakers and amplifiers. Does the sound gradually get worse over time? I haven't noticed with mine, but if it's gradual I guess I wouldn't. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a system, I would expect that if I take good care of it it should sound just as excellent years from now, and I certainly hope I shouldn't need to keep track of how many "hours" I've played it. Am I wrong in thinking this?
eerae
To my mind the Audiogon community is about sharing our enthusiasm for excellence in sound reproduction with like minded folk. Technical advice is proffered based on experience, in the hope that said advice will help move one step closer to achieving that sonic goal. Equipment is bought and sold on trust, and the vast majority of transactions are positive. That said, problems on both sides of the transaction occur. Most are resolved amicably. That's why I continue to read and learn, and buy used equipment exclusively on Audiogon. It seems to me that audio electronics drop in marketable value from "new" rather quickly, and represent great value used. By all means check the seller's feedback before buying, and engage in some kind of dialogue to get a "feel" for the person. You can learn a lot about someone and the equipment they are selling by spending 5 minutes on the phone with them. Have your questions organized and give the seller time to give you as much information as he or she wishes to impart. Your decision to buy ( or not ) may rest on a comment or something that you hadn't considered. For example, when I went to look at my current speakers, I noted the special care the seller took of all his stereo equipment. He even put on cotton gloves when he moved the speakers! Later I read from the manufacturer's blog that the speakers should perform within specs for 18 to 20 years, with good care. So I figure I got excellent speakers at half price, that will perform beautifully for many years. Much credit for that satisfaction is due to the Audiogon community. As I always say, A-goners are the best. Good luck!
assuming that the seller is not dissembling, one wonder's what the significance is of selling a component having auditioned it for a short period of time.

there may be an implication that the advertised components has some sonic deficits, although one man's "garbage" maybe another man's treasure.

also opinions vary, so the consideration of someone's dislike for a component doesn't mean you won't like it.

i think it may be a red flag to think about before buying.
Using 'low hours' as an attribute would lead me to think the seller doesn't realize that it takes some time for a component to break in. Yes, one can get a feel for something right out of the box, but it does take time to settle in.

If 'low hours' is a ruse, then buyer beware. That, or the seller has upgrade 'itis' and then its to be taken advantage of.

What gives me pause is anyone who has any experience in things audio, would know this. That leads me to believe the seller is an audio tyro or not that honest.
I can see someone stating it is only 'so many months old' or bought back in...
but 'low hours' smacks of a lack of originality and a take on 'low miles'.
When I see low hours I think of 2 things, the first that maybe if its true its a good thing and the second is that perhaps it sounds like shit and isnt worth the trouble....again if its even true.