Just got an ipod, now what?

Just received a new 120G (I think) ipod classic. I am primarily interested in putting music from my own CDs onto the ipod. I will probably also periodically buy some new tunes. I may even at some later point want to put some music off of my own LPs on the ipod. At the risk of "read the manual" advice, where do I start? What do I need to consider as far as file types? Can you or would you want to mix file types? Is there a good primer on the web someone could suggest?
Ag insider logo xs@2xhoopster
install their software and learn to use it

use lossless codecs only

Get used to using it and then do your LP's later

Encode a favorite song as an MP3 so you can see how bad they sound.

Get better headphones or ear buds for it.

Good luck

ET
Some may suggest you turn in your Audiophile membership card but dont listen to these folks, err.....snobs. There is nothing like learning as you go as ET suggested and all his ideas are "sound".....the LP dubs can come later.
Thanks guys,

Got up and running this evening. Not a big deal after all...
Don't worry, I put the ipod down after a while and am back to listening to LPs through tubes. So, don't cancel my card, pleazzzz!!!
OK, now that you got the ipod running... your next step is to buy a tube usb dac, hook it up to your computer and preamp and never touch your cds again. Welcome to the 21st century.
>> 12-17-08: Hoopster
>> Thanks guys,
>>
>> Got up and running this evening. Not a big deal after
>> all...
>> Don't worry, I put the ipod down after a while and am
>> back to listening to LPs through tubes. So, don't
>> cancel my card, pleazzzz!!!

heh, heh, heh, heh! you learn fast Hoopster!! :-)
NOW you know which side of your toast is buttered, eh!

Seriously,
* nothing wrong w/ the iPod; it has its place in the grand scheme of 2-ch or HT systems. Pretty much like streaming radio using a Squeezebox/Transporter, etc.
* if you use lossless music formats you might actually like it better than your CDs.
* Also try to buy a Wadia 170 iPod docking station - I believe that it takes the direct digital stream from the iPod & you can feed that into your own DAC. I believe that the sound is much better 'cuz the on-board analog board is a major compromise to keep price down.