Selling to Canadians

I've read about nightmares selling equipment to our neighbors north of the border and would like to have some guidance on how best to handle such a transaction. Is there an exchange rate issue? Also, what's the best way to ship (cables) -- and how are the duties handled? Is it a percentage of the sale price and, if so, do they go by the price new or the resale price? Thanks a lot for your help.
128x1289rw
I too have experience with insurance limits at the USPS. In my case I couldn't buy any insurance for a $100 accessory shipping Priority Mail to Vietnam. Also, in my experience with the USPS web site, though convenient and quick, what you find there isn't always accurate vs what happens when you go into the post office. May be user error in my case . . . but wading though all the options and international regulations is confusing.
So far, never had a problem with UPS. They have always collected duties and brokerage (UPS ground only) when delivered. Last package from Fedex, they said my address doesn't exist so I had to pick it up. Clerk at the desk, who couldn't have been more than 18, released the package without charges, even though I asked. That was just before I moved. That was just one of several screw-ups and, ever since, I've also insisted that senders do not use Fedex because of their local incompetence. Much later, I found out they had been trying to bill me. Should have heard if the sender got tagged.

Also got charged duty on a Sonic Frontiers (Canadian) preamp. Sender filled out form incorrectly and put that in the comments instead of the country of origin. I was told my only recourse was to get the manufacturer to send a note. Duty can be much more for Non-US countries so, on used items from the US, the country of origin should be ignored, unless it was made in Canada.

Damage insurance is not an option up here on used items unless it is packaged by the courier. Even then, they'll only cover it if there is external damage. That includes Fedex, UPS and DHL.
Bdgregory: I agree. The internet is great, but for some things I prefer getting the information from a real person. Nice system.
I have purchased and sold quite a bit from the US. I'm Canadian and every time when it was UPS,I had to pay brokerage fees and tax at my door before they give me my package.

Now when Fedex was used they just gave me the package and then later sent me a bill in the mail for brokerage fees and tax. If I do not pay the bill, it will then have to be paid by the shipper.

But FEDX may be double dipping. One time I bought an amp form a gentleman in the US and months later he sent me an email say FEDX sent him the bill and he paid it.
Well it's a good thing I keep my paid bills for a while as I was able to sent the gentleman a copy of the bill showing it was paid and a few calls to FEDX cleared things up.

Perhaps a few people are not getting ahold of the buyer before they pay to see what the problem is.

Of course there are lowlife people in every country.

USPS is great for both parties on smaller stuff.
I have purchased and sold quite a bit from the US. I'm Canadian and every time when it was UPS,I had to pay brokerage fees and tax at my door before they give me my package.

Now when Fedex was used they just gave me the package and then later sent me a bill in the mail for brokerage fees and tax. If I do not pay the bill, it will then have to be paid by the shipper.
interesting, and explains my one "scare" with brokerage fees. I sent a pair of speakers to a Canadian buyer using Fedex, having agreed up front that he would pay all fees. 2 months later I receive an email from Fedex saying I am being charged x$ for brokerage and duties on my item as they were unable to collect it from the receiver. I sent an email to the buyer asking him what was up, and he promptly replied he had paid the fees to Fedex 2 days previous. I never hear from Fedex again. It seems UPS's practice is a more favorable one from the US shipper's perspective . . .