ZYX R-1000 Series Omega-S

Some time ago, I had been considering buying one more new MC carts and had posted a thread under the title of “Phase Tech P-1G and ZYX Omega-S”. I have finally chosen the latter, i.e. ZYX Omega-S. For their basic design theories, please serve yourself browsing the official websites as I won’t repeat the details here. The following is my brief impression and unofficial opinion on the cart after playing it for around 50-60 hours in my system.

Setting up:
The arm tube or the baseline of the cart is roughly parallelled to a flat record when playing. The VTF applied is slightly less than 2.0 gm for the moment when the room temp is around 18-20 degree in Celsius (around 64-68F), relative humidity is around 80% when auditioning. The VTF applied sounded very good to my ears but couldn’t make it a cart with the best trackability on HFN and Analogue Productions test records (frankly, it doesn't really bother me:). In finding suitable VTFs, I would first experiment finding the lightest VTF which could track well on those test records (with this Omega-S, it was around 2.1-2.15g) with a minimum anti-skating force applied. Then, try lower the VTF by playing different music on different records (probably the ones that would be used in the listening sessions), the practical “sweet spot” of VTF for actual playing would be established according to our preference, and for this subject review sample is slightly less than 2 g.

Choosing step-up transformers:
Breaking in a cart is always time-consuming, Omega-S was of no exception. As its sound started to stabilize (like a bottle of Penfold's Grange in the decanter, taste excellent!!!), I began to play around with my SUTs (Phase Tech T-3, Stage 302, the one built in EAR 88PB). With Phase Tech T-3, the sound was marginally acceptable but the resolution and tonal balance was not the best. With Stage 302, it was not lively enough for such pricey cart, and the 22dB gain seemed to be too low for an MC cart with 0.24mV output. Good news was the hum and residual noise in the background was the lowest. But imaging and soundstage seemed to have rooms to improve.

For this preliminary review, the built-in SUT in EAR 88PB switched at 4 ohms was adopted. It offered the best possible imaging and soundstage with reasonable high/low extensions. It is believed 4-10 ohms transformer loading with gain more than 26dB is more feasible in my system when using SUTs. For your reference, ZYX recommends resistor loading larger than 100 ohms and ZYX's phono stage is usually set at 125 ohms. Bear in mind it’s not a conclusion nor should it be binding for everyone, in any systems. Even in the same system, as time goes by, all settings may change accordingly.

Listening sessions:
For quick review, I always begin with classical. IME, if an MC cart can sound “right” with classical, it can’t be too “wrong” with other music genres but not necessary vice versa. I will post some photos of the records I used later.

Spinning Wilhelm Kempff’s Franz Schubert Sonata A minor, D.845, Omega-S could unfold a full-sized grand piano between the speakers with lush harmonics and timbre complexities, though with a very slight tendency towards the warm side and a bit emphasis upon lowest octaves. This tendency, however, was proved to be a partial result of using EAR 88PB as the character could be diluted by rolling with some Siemens made PCC88s in V3/V4 (still experimenting other tweaks, I will report the results later). In general, I was really impressed by the real-life energy, transient attacks and complexities of the piano which could not easily be experienced with other carts. In comparisons, other carts sounded like a miniature 2-D image. To illustrate more, it was just like watching a 150-inch full screen (Omega-S) and a 50-inch flat panel TV (other entry level carts) between the speakers.

For vocals, Omega-S seemed to be able to smooth out some bad digital recordings by removing the excessive sibilations. It could be regarded as slight coloration of the cart. Personally speaking, however, I wouldn’t mind this type of “smoothness” as long as it’s not overdosed. Not all recordings are “perfect” in any system. If it could make the sonic presentations more enjoyable without an overwhelming character, it should be regarded as a suitable amount of dosage. Whether it’s a good or bad thing, it’s up to you and could be very system dependent.

Playing “Almost like being in Jazz” by Hugh Masekela, the bass for the first song, "You’ll never know", recorded on Side A is a bit exaggerated. It seemed Bernie Grundman had tried to adjust the tone control later on and made the rest of the recording as close to live performance as possible. Omega-S still presented the exaggerated bass for the first song in an acceptable way without losing any control. The dynamics of the flugelhorn blew the stylus to a slight tension state…Omega-S may need more break-ins or I have to fine tune the alignment, VTF, VTA, etc, later.

Conclusion:
These are my preliminary impression based upon the first 50 hours playing. No conclusion yet as the review continues…
128x128danwkw

Showing 17 responses by danwkw

Which model of your R-1000 series? Copper(-X), Silver(-S) or Gold(-G)? Yes, I am in for a surprise;)

Dan
Nice carts, Jwm.
Actually I was planning to buy a UNIverse...now you know the final choice.
What's the phono amp or SUT you are using now? What's the loading impedance selected for your ZYX R-1000 Airy? Silver high output(with 8-ohm internal impedance)? Just want to grab more information and your invaluable experience on ZYX...

Thanks
Dan
Aesthetix Io Sig. and AR Ref 2 MkII, wonderful!!!
Yes, "no breaks from cart leads to output jacks" is a real good idea! Especially for LOMCs, their minute signals are very sensitive to impedance changes, whether it is inside or outside the carts.

Dan
Thanks, Clivet. I must stress that I just own ZYX Omega-S and heard Ortofon Windfeld for a short period of time in my system.

If you believe Windfeld and A90 are similar designs, except the bodies, I would say that Windfeld seems striving harder for neutrality and less coloration of its own. If the recordings are warm and smooth, Windfeld will gives you "warmth and smoothness". If it is bright and harsh, Windfeld won't make it the other way round. If the recordings are less than ideal, Windfeld wouldn't hide it up. In brief, it proved to be a good match with Ortofon AS-212s or some medium mass gimbal arms with a decent tubed phono(for adding a little tube warmth or romance, if someone prefers so).

Sonically, Omega-S is a tad more energetic, with more weight and body on the lower octaves(slight coloration? Not neccesary as it's still regarded as "tight" and "authoritative" after 100 hours playing), very smooth but authentic vocals, fast transients with realistic acoustic impacts, could deliver a deep sense of harmonic complexities(of course, still subject to good recordings), excellent high low extensions. In comparison, Omega-S seems to be a bit more musical, never harsh and sometimes a bit more romantic.

With 22 adjustable equalization curves and plenty of gain, I wouldn't think you would have any problem with either of them...but I tend to think a unipivot arm with low-medium mass would be better teamed with something like Omega-S as I heard Musical Life Concerto with Fortissimo some time ago, if you regard it's still relevant. Frankly, I may buy one more MC cart later. Something different from my existing MC carts. The candidates may be from Ortofon or Dynavector...

Syntax, you are not totally wrong. I don't believe myself there would be something called "the best cartridge of the world for anyone, in any system". "System matching" is still the audio key word for me.

Back to the main issue, is getting the best out of MY Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent BC NOT an easy task? Hmmm...in comparison, I admit Ultra Eminent is extremely sensitive to slight changes in temperature, humidity, phono cable(better mated it with low impedance design), and may perform with substantial sonic differences with various tonearms. That's all? No. Even worse, not all phono seems to be able to handle 0.6 ohm internal impedance of Ultra Eminent as it is the lowest ever for an MC cart with 0.3mV output! We shouldn't blame the phono designers for sure if an MC cart is a brandnew design, right?

Anyway, the owner of MY Sonic Lab, Matsudaira Y-san, has just launched a new SUT, Stage 1030, with 26dB gain to handle an MC cart with DC resistance as low as 0.3-1 ohm.

If not using this SUT and you may have something like EMT JPA-66 phono pre amp, I believe you still have very good chance to make Ultra Eminent taste good(or taste right in your system).

Another safe alternative is to buy the new SUT, Stage 1030, or any equivalent designs, if any, and find a decent tube MM phono with gain > 40-45dB. IME, I have tried Phase Tech T-1 SUT(designed for primary at 4-10 ohms)and a $7,500 tubed MM phono with Ultra Eminent, the result was: disaster!

VBR
Dan

Great shot, thanks:) What arm is that?

Syntax, the shiny gun-metal platters in your system are real charms to all vinylphiles! How's your new Omega-(X?)in your system? Now on Graham Phantom II?

To play around with all your vinyl gears must be fun...

green with envy
Dan

My point is:the higher the velocity(i.e. spinning speed), the higher the output a cart will generate.

Nominal output at 0.24mV(3.54 cm/sec @1kHz), the actual output may be approximately 0.34mV when measuring at 5 cm/sec @1kHz.

Dan
Hi, Doug, who? who? who's Jonathan Carr? What did he offer?

Ok, let me search by Google...I found these:
A passed away British journalist?
A teenage pop singer?
A murderer in Wichita Massacre?
Tons of Dr. Jon Carr?

Just kidding...
What did he say in that article?

Dan
For quick reference on cart output, my estimation is as follows:

Change in % of Velocity x Nominal/Base Output

= 5/3.54 x 0.24 = 0.33898 or approx. 0.34mV

Dan
Agreed. Omega's nominal output at 0.24mV (3.54cm/sec) seems to be understated. To me, it is more like a typical 0.4mV to 0.5mV output MC cart. Right out of the box, mine was already "full of energy, lively", a typical Phil Spector's approach...hmmm, I'd better leave it for you.

So please let us know your invaluable opinions on Omega-X comparing to other top-notch carts you have heard in your system.

VBR
Dan
If cart output is 0.24mV (3.54 cm/sec @1kHz), at 5.0cm/sec @1kHz, its output must be > 0.24mV.

If cart output is 0.5mV (5.00 cm/sec @1kHz), at 3.54cm/sec@1kHz, its output must be < 0.5mV.

Feeding with the same test signal, measuring the phono pre direct output signal, and ceteris paribus(speed, volume, etc), my ZYX sample is just approximately 1.5dB(-13.5dB vs -12dB) less than an MC cart with 0.5mV nominal output.

Anyway, in respect of output level, my ZYX sample is extremely user-friendly.

Dan
After searching "Jcarr" for a while, it seems not much of the relevant posts remain here in A'gon anymore. Or did I do anything wrong?

Anyway, Doug, thanks a lot.

Dan
Sorry for the typo:

Should be *Change in Velocity(not %) = New Velocity divided by Old Velocity (i.e. X cm per second @ 1kHz)

If the nominal/base output of a cart is 0.3mV(measuring at 5 cm/sec @1kHz), for example, we need the spec. of 3.54cm/sec for cart comparison and phono gain compatibility, we may calculate as follows:

3.54/5 x 0.3 = 0.2124 or 0.21 mV(3.54/sec @1kHz)

Just for quick reference.
Dan
My opinions, which shouldn't be binding for everyone in any system, are as follows:

Due to its low output and low internal impedance, a high quality phono stage and special attention on impedance loading is of utmost importance. Though its trackability is not among the best on popular test records, practically it's not real problem. As its tonal balance is slightly on the warm side, it may not be your cup of tea if your system is already too warm or too tubey. The Lapis ball looks weird if not good-looking.

Right after 50 hours of playing, Omega-S already shows its strength in realistic, full-sized imaging and recreating a convincing soundstage with ease. Other strengths lie in its excellence in details retrieval, very low residual surface noise, very dynamic, smooth but lively mid-range & vocals.

Last but not least, I am satisfied with the purchase as I always do with most of the ZYX's products.

Let's see what will happen after another 50 hours;)
Dan
In reply to inmate(John)'s further query on Omega and Ultra Eminent....
In our country, MY Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent BC(M.S.L.'s top of the line) costs 40% more than ZYX Omega. In Japan, the list price of an Ultra costs 30% more in JPY. However, it is believed cost is just a related but not neccesary the underlying factor affecting the performance of some of the very best MC carts out there, incl Omega and Ultra.

Summing up ME up to this moment, can Ultra Eminent outperform Omega in every area 30-40% better off? The answer is "No".

Is it fair to compare an older Ultra Eminent with a young Omega-S? Not really, too. Nevertheless, if disregarding the aging factor, they seem to have equal strengths as equivalent to any top-notch MC carts money can buy. Even though they have similarities in specifications, they are with some differences in sonic characters. As mentioned previously, Omega-S usually offers me warmer, more energetic, smoother presentations whilst Ultra is not cold, not weak in delivering attacks and impacts, and not harsh as a whole.

Is it due to differences in materials(inside and outside)? Different structures? Winded with Silver wire and copper wire? I believe so.

One thing I have to mention about Omega after full break-in. The mid-range will no longer be over-warm, too colored, and bass tightening up with stunning impacts(Note: not booming in the room) which can be felt with my skin! I can fine tune the overall tone with using different SUTs, never having any hard times at all.

If we look for "real, live" performances, we have no other choice but attending a live concert. An audio system is always just an audio system, no matter how high the cost of it(incl listening room, of course). Attending more live instrumental performance could help us to determine how good an audio system can capture and reproduce those live performances.

How about a good MC cart? They should be able to draw your attention to the music, not to how high the fidelity of an audio system, and make you forget everything except the performance itself, though occasionally(as still subject to quality of the recordings), for a short while.

Both of them can get this job done very well. This is the very similarity of both carts! To surpass the performance standard they made would not be an easy task in my system as cost is always of an object;)

Best regards
Dan
Hi, Syntax.
If you don't mind, please write more about your opinions on these carts under this post, even if it's rather negative. I mentioned not only once here A'gon, I don't believe myself there is any "absolute best cart" for anyone in any systems.

IME, different carts have different strengths and weaknesses. What makes this hobby fun is that it's not simply plug in and play. There are lots of variety and combinations leading us to Rome or making a system sound right to one's ear.

VBR
Dan