Your Opinions Please Regarding VPI TT's

I have a VPI HW Jr., w/ AQ PT9 and a Dynovector 20x cartridge. I am happy with the table, but since vinyl is my only source for music, I am going to upgrade to get the most out of my system (BAT PK5 phono stage, Decware Zen Select Amp and Omega Speakers with Wasatch Cables).

Anyway, my question is, should I upgrade to the VPI HW 19 IV with the SAMA motor, or should I buy a Scoutmaster or Aries table? Are the uprgrades worth it? Are the new VPI tables that much better then the HW 19 IV? I dont want to spend too much money, however, I want a table that I can be happy with forever. Thanks in advance...
rich62

Showing 1 response by c123666

I have never used the VPI stuff but have used Rega and am a current Audio Note owner (typical suspended belt drive bopuncy thing that sounds fine). Were I in the market for another table VPI would be at the top of the list for the following reasons that have nothing to do with VPI making an excellent turntable.
a) They've been around a long time;
b) They support older products with upgrade policies;
c) Logical progression from one product to the next;
d) Made in America. Do your part for the trade deficit.

There are so many "good" turntables it comes down to a matter of budget (primary), personal taste, and the arm/cartridge synergy which may be the most important thing.

If the cost of the upgrade seems fair then there is a lot to be said for just dealing with VPI and sticking with what you know.