Your first stereo system

What was your first stereo or hi fi music system? What do you remember best about it? What were its strengths? Its weaknesses? What music provided you the most enjoyment from it? What did you trade in first and why? My first system was from Lafayette Radio Electronics. It consisted of a very small integrated amp, two small book shelf speakers, and a turntable I don't remember much about. I was thrilled to have the tiny amp, it provided much better sound than an a.m. radio, in such a small package. My system was in the basement of my parents home, with the speakers on opposite sides of my round water bed! The first "up grade" was to a cool looking Garrard turntable with a clear plastic hinged cover. My favorite music of the time was by Jim Morrison and the Doors. That system did its best to light my fire, and the memory of it still does.
richardmonk
Iguess my first system which i can remember as a(cranking stereo) was a pair of GENESIS 3 SPEAKERS which I bought new in 1975-1976 for I think around $600-800?? A sansui top of the line 1010 reciever ( OUCH) and a thorens turntable. Around 1978-79 I got really serious and bought a pair of DAHLQUIST DQ10'S ,an AUDIO RESEARCH SP6 preamp,a BRYSTON 3B AMP and a ROTEL turntable with a GRACE 707 ARM and A SLEEPING BEAUTY low output moving coil cartridge by G.A.S. I still have all of this equipment in storage except for the thorens and the bryston. I REPLACED the bbryston with a BELLES 450 which was superior with the power hungry DAHLQUISTS.I am currently using VANDERSTEEN 3A speakers , an AUDIO RESEARCH SP6E preamp,a FORTE 4 AMP ,BASIS TURNTABLE and a MUSICAL FIDELITY E624 cd player. I AM currently using STEALTH CABLES also. HAPPY AND HEALTHY LISTENING, RICH.
Iguess my first system which i can remember as a(cranking stereo) was a pair of GENESIS 3 SPEAKERS which I bought new in 1975-1976 for I think around $600-800?? A sansui top of the line 1010 reciever ( OUCH) and a thorens turntable. Around 1978-79 I got really serious and bought a pair of DAHLQUIST DQ10'S ,an AUDIO RESEARCH SP6 preamp,a BRYSTON 3B AMP and a ROTEL turntable with a GRACE 707 ARM and A SLEEPING BEAUTY low output moving coil cartridge by G.A.S. I still have all of this equipment in storage except for the thorens and the bryston. I REPLACED the bbryston with a BELLES 450 which was superior with the power hungry DAHLQUISTS.I am currently using VANDERSTEEN 3A speakers , an AUDIO RESEARCH SP6E preamp,a FORTE 4 AMP ,BASIS TURNTABLE and a MUSICAL FIDELITY E624 cd player. I AM currently using STEALTH CABLES also. HAPPY AND HEALTHY LISTENING, RICH.
My first venture into "call brand" audio components came in the early 80's, but I always think of the first system my parents bought for me when I was a kid in the middle of Junior High School...a Panasonic FM only Receiver with 50 watts of power, a BIC outboard 8-track in a beautiful walnut cabinet, a BSR/McDonald turntable with a Stanton cartridge. It had the arm, but I used the single disc spindle instead!, speakers were a pair of A/R Model 2's...I would sit in the middle of my bed- the sweet spot!, and listen for hours on end. My memories of this drive me still in my quest for "that sound"... The sad part is, that was probably as close as I will ever get to that innocent pleasure of music, I'm now so critical of the equipment, the recording process, etc. Still, if I could convince myself that I should buy a Turntable again, a Phono Pre, some cables...
Hey David99, sounds like you are as much of an analog lover as I am. My first system consisted of a Kenwood KT-7300 intagrated amp, a Kenwood KT-7500 tuner, a Kenwood direct drive turntable that had a granite base [that thing weighed a ton], and American Moniter speakers. I have come a long way since then, but I still have the tuner in my system today, and it still works fine. Boy, that really brings back memories.