Your fav online resource for high end gear is....

When researching gear for that 'next' golden purchase, where do you turn?

Magazines? If so, which?

Personal accounts?

Forums?

Manufacturers info?

What else?

I've used any and all of the above from time to time. I wondered however as subjective an account the 'review' format is, if people do in fact lean on it for developing some new tact on improving your system, anyway?

thanks for the imput.
blindjim

Showing 3 responses by uru975

Mainly Stereophile and if the equipment is old enough Listener, a great magazine that unfortunately did not last.

After that probably the forums and discussions here. Over time it has given me a fair idea of what people like and or listen to or for. Who seems knowledgeable and where and who is more or less open to the fact that it is after all just their opinion.

Will search out the manufacturer to see who they say has reviewed their product. Then do a google search to see who else has, sometimes more come up, sometimes more is revealed. Also will go through about the first 30 or so hits and see which, if any are applicable to what is being sought. Sometimes it is just something new and different, sometimes it is the desire to find out more before making a decision.

Only after that do I head out and see about auditioning equipment. By that point there is a basis of opinion, not necessarily fact, that has resulted from people's and reviewer's experiences. Their rooms and equipment are varied enough that if they all end up saying about the same thing, then it probably is that piece of equipment. Then comes the question of is that the result I am looking for.

In a very subjective world of experience looking for objectivity is a fool's erand in my view. But if you get enough different people saying the same thing, that in and of itself may provide some objectivity
Hi Blindjim,
Thanks for the kind words. My answers to your questions and thoughts may not be THE ANSWER but they are mine.

How many does it take to get a feel that there is some objectivity? Depends to a degree on who is providing the review or opinion. There are some on Audiogon whose opinions have definitely earned my respect. Some like Art Dudley who when he likes a piece enough says he bought it or thought seriously about doing so. Get enough of these to more or less agree on a product and given their differences in music, musical emphasis, tube or transistor camp, etc., a view begins to emerge that says this is a good or not so good or crap or outstanding piece. A number really doesn't work 5+ maybe but if two or three that have gained my respect say the same thing then that could also sway me. Not trying to be wishy washy but it matters who says what and how much they have said and on what for me to consider their opinions worthy of more or less weight.

On home demos: when it was time for a better phono preamp went through six or eight in home demos. Found a number of wonderful dealers all over the US from Colorado west, I am in California, who were willing to send them out to me for two weeks to a month, shipping both ways on me, with no restock fee, and allow me to think about what I heard and what I didn't. As long as it got back to them ok, in the same shape they shipped it out there was never a problem. The one time one came up, was with Thor Audio, great company, had either a 30 or 60 watt tube amp, that would not bias, but played wonderful music. Paul sent out some new tubes, being a former electronic tech we were able to work through some things and finally decided it was the shippers fault and had no problem from there on out.

No doubt there are classes in buying, where the demarcations are will vary but agree entirely. With speakers it is more, at least to me, as to wheather someone wants more of a bass boast, midrange clarity, etc., and certain speakers play to those biases. that doesn't make them wrong just wrong for me.

Reviews depend heavily on have I read enough of this or that person to have a feeling for what they are saying or is it just a puff piece. With some, such as Johnathan Valin, Art Dudley, Michael Fremer, and others I have an idea based on reading their reviews over time and here and there actually having had the opportunity to listen to the product to decide for myself how near they came. So it is not the review nearly so much as the reviewer and where do we agree or disagree so that their faults(?) can be seen by me and adjusted for.

As for musical choices, Michael Fremer tends to emphasize rock, and jazz. Others do classical, do I know all the pieces, of course not, so what. Massed strings in an orchestra are massed strings. A trombone or horn is just that. It is either reproduced correctly or not.

Do not have a lot of upgrading that I have done, things tend to hang around a long time, but now and again things come my way and for me it is a no brainer. Like the time I was offered a Conrad-Johnson Premier 16 LSII for 30% of, a store demo, because the store was moving, so raided my IRA and never looked back, taxes be damned. When I hear something that says, get this, don't think twice, I do it, just am not particularly motivated just because something is heard. Inertia can be a great thing.

As always, enjoy the music.
Michael
Hi Blindjim,
I did acquire the Thor 3000 phono preamp which he allowed me to trade up to the Cantantus, tried at least 6-8 other phono preamps, heard that, and it was here to stay. Agree totally with Stan that setup is so important. And if I were less lazy I would do a check up of mine, for cabling, Kontact or E-SST or something like it, the Cardas sweep record on a more regular basis than I do. But all that said, I am in still pleased with it so.... My score this year was a pair of Wyetech 211c monos. Totally awesome. But like much, acquiring a new piece tells me what needs to be upgraded and so it goes and goes.
Enjoy
Michael