your experiences bi-amping using passive pre-amp?

Greetings all,
I'm going to bi-amp and am considering using a passive pre-amp. Any suggestions on what TO do and what NOT to do, will be appreciated. Your comments on your actual GOOD & BAD experiences with this, are also appreciated. (I understand the i/c's need to be kept to a minimum length after the pre.) Also, any comments on vertical, or highs to one & lows to the other, being better with passive pre?
Thanks and happy listening!
myraj

Showing 1 response by 1953

I've been bi-amping for years using a passive pre-amp (Reference Line). There are two ways to do it, passively & actively.

PASSIVELY : Using the same amp(s) really makes life a lot easier since you don't have to fuss with level adjustments between amps & drivers. The best settup is 2 identical stereo amps or 4 identical mono blocks with a gain of at least 26 DB. You also need to keep an eye on the input impedance of the amps. It should be at least 40K ohms.

If you have another set of outputs you have a choice of splitting the signal at the pre-amp or just running the signal to the amp(s) and doing the splitting there. I recommend splitting the signal at the amp...less wire. There are several splitters available. I've used the ones marketed by Monster & Vampire wire that look like plumbing tees. They plug into the back of the amp and have two female RCA input/outputs at right angles to each other. Then I simply run a short section of the SAME wire to the other channel/amp. What ever splitter you use, make sure it is of high quality.

If you are running mono blocks the debate over vertical vs horizontal bi-amping does not apply. If you use 2 identical stereo amps I prefer just keeping the amps behind the speakers and using one channel to drive the lows and the other to drive the highs. Again less cabling is involved (usually a 1/2 meter section is all that's needed to act as a jumper between channels). The best way though is to install an internal jumper between the inputs on the inside of the amp. But that's a modification. The other thing you need to be mindfull of is that that some amps may not like having their inputs paralleled. Best thing to do is talk to the OEM.

ACTIVELY: Really simple here. The active x-over will act as a buffer for the passive pre-amp. Just keep the cabling to x-over short & simple (no funky box thingies)and make sure the x-over has an input impedance of at LEAST 20K ohms. There should be considerably less debate here over the choice between vertical & horizontal bi-amping.

Don't let anybody talk you out of trying passive biamping. Done right, and it will make a considerable improvement. Hope this helps and good luck!