yet another tube preamp recommendation thread

hello, currently looking for tube preamp linestage upgrade recommentations.
recently tried an older cary audio slp98p f1 edition with new tubes. i do not need phono capability.
the cary had a lot going for it, an incredible midrange, very good bass and transparency, it just sounded unrefined and ragged in the treble on occasion, possibly due to the new tubes.
a new Slp 98 l with upgrades is a considetation.
also considering primaluna evo 300 or 400
and rogue audio rp7.
i value transparency, refinement and dynamics the most.
thanks.
avanti1960
If you don't need balanced, this PL is a good value. I would ignore the perception that units listed with second owners are any different than other brands. Their just isn't one brand for everyone, as some may think.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649649181-primaluna-dalogue-premium-preamp/

For $2800, you're getting performance/features of pricier units. Reports of a cap upgrade supposedly improves upon already good. I'd offer $2500.
op

the cary slp98 should not sound harsh in the treble - it is either the tubes themselves or the isolation of the unit... the slp98 is suuuuuper smooooooth

make sure you have tube dampers and the unit well isolated

maybe you want to try a new preamp/linestage but i don't think you have gotten the slp working at its best yet... my 2 cents (i used to have one ran it for 2 years very happily)
Last call for those tube linestage gems ! ~ 4.5 K or so- 
Transparency,  timbre and holographic soundstage 

Thanks 
Last call for those tube linestage gems ! ~ 4.5 K or so-
Transparency, timbre and holographic soundstage
If you can find one of our MP-3 line stage preamps used you should be able to pick it up in that price range or less. They have direct coupled balanced outputs and no worries driving the input impedance of your amp. The direct-coupled output helps a lot with transparency...