Yaqin MC-100B or Cayin A-88T - first tube amp

Hello. I will be pairing with an old set of 99db sensitivity Pioneer box speakers. They sound pretty nice and will be my speakers for awhile as I can't afford VMPS... Sources will be Rotel RCD-975 and Oracle Delphi turntable. I listen mostly to progressive rock (like Porcupine Tree) and metal/hard rock (Opeth and Queens of the Stone Age for example).

Of the two, I've already heard the Cayin A-88T at a local dealer (thumbs up to the great service from Zack at Primus Audio in Kansas City - appreciate it!). It was by far the best sounding amplifier I've heard. I am sure that I want to go with a KT88 based tube amp not solid state at this time. I was thinking about 300B for a bit but I don't think it would provide enough power and energy for the music I enjoy. The Cayin sounded amazing with Porcupine Tree. Though Yaqin seems to make some pretty good amp/pre units - especially for the price.

Anyone have any idea how they compare for the music that I listen to? Are the output transformers and caps and all comparable between the two? I wish I could hear both somehow...
peteraudio7

Showing 1 response by toufu

99db should be OK with a 300B amp, and Yaqin makes a 300B SET amplifier that you might want to check out. I am driving my 88db Quad 12L2's with a 845 SET amp with no problem in a medium sized room. The Cayin is probably twice the price as the Yaqin, but you get advantage of being to able to hear it in person. Although I haven't heard anything bad about Yaqins.