Yamaha RX-V3800 and component output question...

Hi guys,
See if I can tap into someones brain when it comes to this amp.

I have some older equipment that dont have HDMI output. Mostly relies on the component output and some HDMI’s, but having issues with one component video output from one of my equipment.

Now, the problem I have is this...

I have a tv hooked up via component output (YPbPr) feeding all output going into the amp via component output to this tv.

In addition to this tv I have this overhead projector hooked up via HDMI (This projector have a straight feed using HDMI, but I also have a component video and low res S-video feed to it)

The amp (Yamaha RX-V3800) support all these input formats along with HDMI, component video and S-video monitor output.

Problem:
One of my old VCR/DVD players dont support HDMI and as a result of this I used the component video going to the amp.
Works perfectly going to my tv, but nothing is fed to my projector.

The tv received a full 1024i resolution via component output from the amp.

Same hookup (with the difference of connecting both component and HDMI) from my xbox works perfectly on both tv and projector.
Same with my set top box (component video and HDMI) 1025i res to both outputs

The dvd however where I am limited to just component video, sends full res to my tv but nothing to my projector.

Even tried to bypass the tv component and hook up the projector component video to the amps component output and what it ends up with is some 512p or so resolution - a far cry from what I expect.

I have confirmed that the amp configuration under "Mandual setup" -> "Video" -> "Conversion" is turned on - yet nothing being fed to the projector.

All but my vcr/dvd player have both component and HDMI output and they all work - Seem like the lack of HDMI output from the vcr/dvd prevents the component video signal being fed from the amp HDMI output through to the HDMI input fail.

Any suggestion how to work around this would be appreciated. As it stands now I cant watch dvd’s on the big screen - only on the small tv screen.

Wonder if a component output splitter similar to this might be a solution that in effect could feed the component output in parallel to both tv and projector component input on each device ? - Just not sure if the handshake from tv and projector would be out of sync or cause problems ?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6DRYR6phQ3b0oVcH-cE2kAYiXUuDYQ7qYJQJp8ORpMP...

ghostwolf59

I think you'll need to spend a little money to resolve this. I would put in some sort of video processor to convert the VCR/DVD to an HDMI signal.

Probably the cheapest way of doing this is a Gefen GTV-COMPSVID-2-HDMIS. It will convert a normal Composite (single RCA) or S-Video signal to HDMI and it will also scale it up to 1080p or whatever resolution you want. It's a quick-and-dirty processor with some limited configurability. There's a brand new one on ebay for a $104 buy-it-now price.

If you want to use Component (3 RCA) from the VCR/DVD, then you’ll need to look for an older video processor, such as a Lumagen Radiance or DVDO VP/30/40/50.  These video processors will likely give you a better image than the Gefen unit above, but they are more expensive.

There’s a DVDO iScan VP30 (without power supply) on ebay for $265 buy-it-now.

There’s another VP30 on ebay with full accessories, remote, power supply and original box for $314 or best offer.

There’s a DVDO iScan VP50 (better) on ebay with starting bid of $200.

DO NOT GET THE DVDO Edge.  It has known power supply and stability problems.

If you want a Radiance, you might find an older Radiance XD for something like $400-700.  Or a newer Radiance.  Just make sure it has component inputes (many of the newer ones only have HDMI).

Im not worry about the s-video signal - thats not the issue - the issue really is that the vcr/dvd combp support composite YPbPr  signal = ie high resolution up to 1024i - Problem is that the cross between that input and the amp pumping out a HDMI signal to my projector dont seem to work for this appliance.Since it sends full HD via the composite output to my tv I thought a workaround could be to get a composite cable splitter that would allow me to split the amps composite output to both my tv and projector.Still would have thought that the composite input cross to the amps hdmi should have worked (at least that what I can work out from reading the amps manual)
You can try out a composite splitter. It’s just a Y-splitter cable because it’s all analog waveforms (just like audio, but different frequencies).  My thought would be just to convert the DVD/VCR to HDMI signals just like every other source device you have. 
It weird though - with my previous RX-3000 amp (Yamaha) I used to connect the dvd composite to the composite input on the amp and then the composite out to the projector - That worked flawlessly and gave me 1024i - But with this replacement amp I dont get that - This replacement amp is also suppose to be able to cross feed various signals i,e composite to HDMI out - but just wont do it for some reason.With my set top box that is connected via both composite and HDMI cable into the amp I can use both the composite out feed to the tv and the HDMI fed to the projector - Same scenario using my xbox and the tv goes blank when the projector is on i.e cant use both tv and projector at the same time. Turn off the projector and xbox reboots and 1024i is fed via the composite feed to the tv.
I am somewhat curious about using a composite cable split into two parallel feeds and how that could affect the handshake between tv and projector though - any idea if either display would be confused or if the quality would be degraded? No idea if the signal strength would be affected somehow using something like this on the amps composite output...
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6DRYR6phQ3b0oVcH-cE2kAYiXUuDYQ7qYJQJp8ORpMP...

You have mentioned 1024i, 1025i and 512p.  All these are non-standard resolutions that I have never heard of.  It could be that the older RX-3000 supported these and the newer 3800 is standardized on normal HDMI type resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p).  Or it could be that the RX-V3080 is not able to cross-convert the analog signals from your VCR to an HDMI resolution supported by the projector.

I have no idea if the image will be degraded.  When you use component video, there is absolutely no handshaking.  It is NOT a digital communications protocol.  Component video is old school analog video. 

Once analog video has been converted to digital video, the transmission of digital video over HDMI requires communication handshaking between devices connected using an HDMI cable.

Sorry - a typo - the resolution I was meant to state is 1080i
component video may be "old technology" but as for providing optimal picture resolution its just as good (if not better) than HDMI = If you dont need sound embedded theres a lot less chance of component video being incompatible with various devises since HDMI protocol standards have been (and still is) updated (which may cause older and newer components to be incompatible - Theres heaps of discussion thats been going on over many years now and the final judgement of HDMI or not is still open
also, I do think theres some kind of handshake going on via component input though - I can see my projector searching between the whole resolution spectrum when no component video signal is sent but the projector have been set to component video on the remote - But I think it might be worth a shot using a component cable with split into two parallel outputs

The idea of "handshaking" is a two-way communication coordination.  This is only in specific digital protocols, such as HDMI or Ethernet.  Component video is completely analog and it's one direction only.  The DVD/VCR is just spraying out continuous analog waveforms with no expectation or understanding of what's happening on the receiving end.  When the projector received component video, it may go through an exercise of analyzing the waveforms to determine resolution and frequency, as well as to lock onto the screen refresh timings.  However, there is no communication or "handshaking" back to the DVD/VCR.

One thing that you could try is take your DVD/VCR and the component video cable currently attached to your TV and bring both closer to the project.  I assume the "TV component cable" is a shorter cable.  See if the projector will accept component video directly from this. 

Then go from there.   It could be the "long component cable" is not working well.  Or it could be that the V3800 is not re-sending component video in a way that works with the longer cable - or it is not compatible with the older 1080i component video format.