Yamaha R-S700 2 Channel Stereo Receiver

I recently purchased the Yamaha R-S700 Receiver. Its matched with a Yamaha CDC600 CD Player. a Project Carbon Turntable with Ortofon Blue Cartridge and BW685 Speakers.

Question to the group. I have read extensive reviews about the Rotel, Outlaw and other receivers that seem to get favorable reviews in the Absolute Sound and other "High End" magazines. The Yamaha R-S700 is never mentioned. However consumer reviews are terrific. Personally it sounds clean, crisp and completely undistorted in my sound proof room. (20 x 24 finished basement with berber carpet) I also use 10 gauge wire and have upgraded to copper cables.
Did I make a mistake purchasing the Yamaha. Is it an inferior product to Rotel, Outlaw, Marantz and other 2 channel receivers.
128x128tommyo87

Showing 3 responses by zd542

Does it really matter? If you're happy with the way your system sounds, just listen to it.
"Thanks Loomisjohnson. Well stated. I am a newbie with 2 channel stereo. Just trying to get educated and obtain the best sound possible."

The best way to learn is hands on. Do a lot of listening and try different setup options, like various speaker positions. Also, I see you are reading reviews. Keep in mind, they can hurt just as much as help; especially when you are new to audio. The less you have to rely on them, the better.

Here's something else you can try. Find reviews on products you can find in stores where you live. Demo the product first and write down some basic assessments. Then read the review and compare it to your notes. Trust me on this. It will be time well spent.
"I too have the Yamaha R-S700 Stereo Receiver. I am using B&W CM5-S2 Speakers with sub-woofer, a Denon 5 CD changer and Yamaha YDS-12 iPod Dock with iPod Nano.
I think the receiver sounds quite good, but perhaps a little "bright" for my tastes. It has a lot of useful features and appears to be built rock solid."

You may want to invest a little more time in the issue before you make a final judgement as to the source of the brightness in your system. You may end up being right, but the biggest complaint about B&W speakers is a bright treble. If you try a different speaker that has a softer treble, I think the problem will go away.