Yamaha MX1000U Amp

My uncle trade this old amp of his for my reciever he said he never used it in 7 years i turn it on light come on ,any suggestion for preamp and speakers?
cyberzom104
I have the same amp you do, but using it to power passive sub. The amp does have a good amount of power, so don't get a pair of speakers that are unable to handle it.
Thanks...I ACTUALLY HAVE TO SAVE MONEY FOR A PREAMP FIRST
THEN FOR THE SPEAKERS...I ACTUALLY HAVE A QUESTION IF YOU DONT MIND...IN HOME THEATER SOME PEOPLE SAID OH I USED THIS AMP FOR MY MAIN SPEAKER AND THIS SUCH AMP FOR MY SURROUND? DO THEY USED THE RECIEVER OPTICAL CONNECTION THEN THEY CONNECT THE FRONT AND SURROUND TO THE 5.1 REGULAR PLUG TO AMPLIFIED THE SIGNAL IN SEPARATE AMPS?
The reson people use different amps on their fronts is because they want the most benefit. The amp used for your main speakers is generally better. This way when you listen to either 2 or multi-channel playback you use that amp. The amp(s) used on the rest of the speakers are generally only used for HT. I am not sure I understand the other question. Most recievers today have DD and DTS decoders built in. You never connect a optical (digital) connection to an amplifier (analogue).
Thanks again...let say i have a reciever with no connection for the amp..The reciever is connected to a dvd using a optical connection...then in the dvd also have a connection for 5.1 using the regular banana plug...Then let say i have a amp and preamp plus 2 more front speakers
can i connect the output of the dvd front left and right speaker to the preamp just to get amplified....do you think its a good i dea?

I went to my co worker and try the mx 1000u amp ...he want to buy it from me..its loud and clead on his big speakes .
OK, I understand. You have a reciever that does not have pre-amp outs (RCA) for your main speakers. You have a DVD player with 5.1 RCA outs. You want to go from the RCA outs of the main speakers on the DVD player, to your pre-amp. Yes this is no problem. You will then be using the DVD players internal decoder, instead of the receivers.
OK, first of all you are dealing with a fairly powerful amplifier here (260 WPC, RMS) according to original owners manual specs. which means that the speakers you buy should be able to handle at least 250 watts RMS. I recommend a 3 way design speaker (tweeter/mid/woofer) in order to appreciate the sonic quality of this amplifer. In terms of a preamp, ADCOM makes excellent preamps which would be well suited to this power amplifer. You can also try a yamaha natural sound preamp.
Am i the only one completely befuddled here or what??? Not only with some of the original posters questions / terminology, but with some of the responses too !!!

Other than that, this is a pretty sturdy amp, one of the better ones from a "mass production" manufacturer. It is worthy of consideration for use as a main amplifier and WAY better than most any receiver you are likely to have traded for it. Slow down and do some more reading and research as to how various components work together. Not only will you have a better idea of what you want & need, we'll probably be able to better understand your questions. Sean
>