Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2040/3040?

I have a Denon AVR 4310 and I'm think about replacing it with the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2040 or 3040. A friend has the 2030 and I really liked how he could use his phone to set-up and use different zones to play music in various areas of the house, including his backyard.

Ease of use and the ability to play music in various parts of the house and backyard is important, but equally important is sound quality. I don't want to sacrifice sound quality and to that end I've never been very impressed with Yamaha AVR's. They've always seemed clinical and veiled to me.

Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2040 or 3040 and can they recommend it? Does it come close to an audiophile experience with the ease of zone use that I'm looking for? Is there something better out there in the same price range?

Thanks!
128x128dawgbyte

Showing 1 response by skriefal

I'm happy with my RX-A2040. It's powering a set of Vandersteens that cost several times the price of the 2040, and it acquits itself well. I would not describe it as clinical or veiled -- at least not in Pure Direct mode. It's too soon to comment on the YPAO room EQ, but I usually find in the end that I dislike most room EQ systems and turn 'em off.

I can also switch over to a pair of tubed monoblock amps for the front channels. The difference is not nearly as great as most would expect.

I can't comment on the zone features.