Yamaha A-S801 owners. Did you upgrade?

My A-S801 is driving Bryston Mini-T speakers (86db, 4ohm) well.  I'm enjoying the sound as well as the versatility of the A-S801.  I listen to 100% Deezer Premium via Sonos Connect (optical to 801's dac).

But, I feel more power might make the Mini T's sing a bit more, and I'm considering a change.

My budget is about $2500.  Right now, my frontrunner for a demo is the PS Audio S300 with Gain Cell DAC combo (300w at 4 ohm).  Due to amp placement (credenza), amp heat has to be considered.

If you've have/had an A-S801, I'd be interested to learn your experience around "upgrading" to a different amp.  If you've heard the S300/Gain Cell, I'd appreciate learning about your thoughts on that too.

Thanks.

VeroGuy
veroguy

Showing 2 responses by helomech

I’d move up the Yamaha line to an A-S1100 or 2100 (the 2100 can sometimes be found online for around $2500). These amps have similar power specs to your 801 on paper, but their power supplies are much larger so they can better handle dynamic peaks, which is really what matters.

No other SS amp I’ve heard does string and piano tones quite like a Yamaha. Some of the more modern sounding tube amps can manage it, something like the Cronus Magnum II, but that amp has a higher noise floor, as will most amps because they don’t "float" the ground like Yammies.

A cheap class D amp like the PS audio (yes, class D amps require much less iron and copper so they’re cheap to manufacture) is the last thing you want IMO. All that additional "power" won’t drive your speakers any better than 100 Yamaha watts. I owned a 350 watt/Ch (4 ohms) Rogue Pharaoh that produced weaker, less-controlled bass than my lowly 85 watt/Ch A-S500.
Stick to a heavy class AB amp. The Parasound Halo Integrated is very good, has a built-in DAC and relatively compact chassis.