Yamaha A-S500 85WPC Easily Driving ATC SCM11 v2

Being that I commonly research for a long time before I buy I thought I'd provide a view to help others.   I started my system with the following:

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amplifier w/85WPC
Marantz CD6004 CD Player
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1

Everything was wonderful but, of course, I wanted to improve upon what I had.  I next incorporated Ascend Sierra 2 speakers.  Sound was good.  But, I later found my quasi-grail speakers, the ATC SCM11 v2, for sale here on Audiogon.  I purchased the ATC speakers and fell in love. Everything was so detailed.  You can hear every nuance from the instruments and everything is completely clear.  For a week I did an A-B comparison between the ATC SCM11 and the Ascend Sierra 2 and the ATC's stayed.  For me they were the best choice to hear detail in the music and they still disappeared and presented a wide and tall soundstage. 

Knowing that my amp only provided 85WPC I invested in an Emotiva DC-1 DAC and Class D Audio 300WPC amp.  I had researched all of these components for months, and installed them in my system, taking two-hours to set everything up, pretty much ready to box and store the Yamaha amp.  I was anticipating the extra wattage being able to produce more bass and volume from the ATC speakers.  It's been written that ATC speakers require a lot more wattage due to their sealed enclosures.  The minimum recommended power is 75WPC so, with the Yamaha amp, I was only providing 10 more watts than minimally recommended  

After two-days of trialing this new set-up I finally came to the realization that the Yamaha produced a much more enjoyable and detailed sound even though it was only 85WPC vs 300WPC.  For my 14'x25' room it is plenty loud and I normally need to turn the volume down to listen at an enjoyable level  Sure, I like to crank it at times, but the Yamaha can easily provide the power to push these speakers. I was so surprised that the Yamaha amp, a lower-powered WHATHIFI five-star winner, from 2012, would be able to best newer and highly acclaimed components. 

The A-S500 is no longer available but a new version, the A-S501, is now offered with a DAC now part of the amplifier.  I highly recommend this amplifier for most applications and it is a great value.
possumtaters

Showing 1 response by maplegrovemusic

Excellent ! Funny how all this works ? I am curious how you feel the atc's do with your music preferences ? Do you find a greater amount of different music sounding better with the atc's versus other speakers you have had in the past ? Have read too many state they sound great with great material and lousy with mediocre to sub par recordings.