Yamaha A-S3000 Vs Marantz PM-10 (new reference line)

Hello!

Anyone compared this two integrated amplifiers?

The move of Marantz into Class D makes me doubt about if the gear still delivered the warm sound signature...

Thanks to all, best regards.
128x128cosmicjazz

Showing 1 response by soniqmike

I have owned both the Yamaha AS2000 and the AS3000, my current amplifier. As good as the AS2000 was, the AS3000 is in a whole different league and cannot be compared on sonics or build quality.

The AS3000 is a statement product and a technical showcase from a company with immense resources and know-how in building every instruments that can be found in a symphonic orchestra, including legendary grand pianos. And Yamaha’s music division (meaning top « ears ») was involved in voicing the AS3000. Everything about the AS3000, inside and out is overbuilt, over-specified and even the tactile feel of operation is incredible.

As far as sound is concerned, I would qualify it as extremely detailed yet neutral with a state of the art low frequency definition and a touch of smoothness. Call it tubes, but I won’t, I call it refined.

I cannot comment on the Marantz. I like the brand ( own a Marantz-branded clearaudio table ). However, I find the looks of their high-end amps a bit cheezy with that small chrome-circle window, and those blue lights. Somehow it has that modern-borderline passé look while the Yammy looks timeless and should become a classic looking ahead...all subjective of course, but for me, and at those prices, looks count. Both the M and Y should sound fine though and are fine purchases. One thing for sure, photos do not convey the beauty of the Yamaha - to be absolutely seen, touched and heard in person.