Yamaha A-S3000 Vs Marantz PM-10 (new reference line)

Hello!

Anyone compared this two integrated amplifiers?

The move of Marantz into Class D makes me doubt about if the gear still delivered the warm sound signature...

Thanks to all, best regards.
128x128cosmicjazz

Showing 1 response by noble100

bluenote64,

I haven't heard either receiver but I agree with aberyclark that current class D amps can sound very good.  I've been using 2 stereo and a pair of mono block class D amps in my system for about 3 yrs. I've also helped a friend pick out and install a 5.1 surround/music system and we used a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver that was class D.  
     I'm absolutely certain that class D is a very good performer on both home theater and music.  I've replaced all of my good quality class AB amps with class D in my combo ht and music system because they perform and sound much better without any downsides.  Class D amps also use less juice and run cooler. 
     However, I would characterize their general sound character as neutral rather than warm.   They will just amplify the inputted signals accurately without any flavoring but, if their is warmth contained on the original recording, that warmth will be amplified and perceived.  If you desire an amp that will sound warm or add warmth on everything played, you probably should not choose class D. 
Tim