Yamaha A-S2100 vs Technics SU-G700

Hello Everyone,
Looking to see if anyone has A/B these two units. I am looking for an int amp to pair with Dynaudio C20 speakers. For now I have the bluesound node2 streamer which I will replace with something much better later. But for now I need to know how these two sonically compare. I do realize that yamaha is class a/b design and technics is class D. Thoughts would be much appreciated yet and please do not recommend a 3rd int amp :-). I prefer open airy (not thing n bright sound) decent mid and tighter bass. 

Yamaha as2100 ~ $3,499
Technics SU G700 (built in dac) ~ $2,500

Thanks!
danimaz

Just heard the Technics SU-G700MK2 with B & W 703 S2s and I have to say I don't hear a discernible difference between it and the SU-G700. I think the improved power supply and the MC phono stage are nice accoutremonts, but I see no reason to upgrade at the moment. I appalud Technics for being evolutionary and not radically change a 21st Century winning design.

@bizdi , good for you! I hope you got a sweet deal on the Technics from the clueless former owner.  I got my SU-G700M2 last week and it's a keeper and it keeps getting better the more I listen to it. Not the least bit bright.

All the best,
Nonoise

Yamaha AS-XXXX....a dream that never came true. But I can tell you the story of Yamaha R-N803D vs Technics SU-G700M2.

In 2019 I upgraded from Yamaha R-N602 but the difference was marginal, i noted some subtle bass better response for my Monitor Audio Gold 100 G4.

This year I found a disdained SU-G700M2 unit, his owner was disappointed with the brightness of his B&W 802 D3 ( 25k euro pair) with this amp and I got the amp.

R-N803D is a consumer receiver and for sure AS series is far better, unfortunately I never had one, but the difference between SU-G700M2 and the former is pronounced and notable. 

When I first plugged the SU-G700M2 I was immediately able to feel differences in bass response, dynamics and clarity but the moment I returned to R-N803D I heard all that is missing. Don't get me wrong, I had wonderful moments with Yamaha but .... "Grand Master Class" is another class. It was like a veil was removed from the music and everything was better defined.

900 euro vs 2500... Is this worth it? ... Long term yes :)

@mervo , Thanks for posting your findings and opinion. It’s just whetted my appetite and making all the more eager to get the SU-G700M2 when it finally hits our shores.

Occasionally I check in with Musicdirect to annoy them on when it’s coming and to make sure I’m on the waiting list. Apparently, I’m not the only one as I was told that I am and so are many others and that the first shipment is already spoken for.

Depending on how good you computer set up is, here’s a Youtube video of it on a Japanese review site. Unless you are fluent in Japanese (I'm not so I'm assuming what the set up is in the video), just cue up to the 11:16 mark and take a listen. The first two sample are with LACP off and then used. Then fast forward to the same set up but using only the preamp section of the Technics and a Triode Musashi amp section. They sound eerily similar:

All the best,
Nonoise

@mervo you are a sharp one and clearly this is a dead thread. No one but you has posted in 2 years on this dead thread.

Quite clear you are a YAMAHA FANBOY.

Have not given Yamaha a thought in 20 years when it comes to audio, other than the Bass I bought at a flea market in Milwaukee. Again lo-fi as my Rickenbacker 4003 is much better.

I was debating between the Yamaha AS-1200 and the Technics SU-G-700 and I have read through this thread and can not believe how much audiophile "ignorance" goes on here. Yamaha presented a classic A/B amplifier with a torroidal transformer and several posters here crown it the champion without having heard the Technics. I listened to both, read the respective reviews and then decided to comment.

Almost all major audio reviewers looked at the Technics digital amplifier (not Class D)  have  raved about it. I chose to listen to both and decided on the Technics, not because I favor a brand but because, it produced pure sound from the source. Matsushita (Panasonic), Technics parent company invested a lot of $$$ in R & D to come up with a 21st century design that runs cooler and uses less power, solved Class D weakness in bass lines, et al, and so they succeeded in my opinion. All signals enter the SU-G700 digitally, then to cut Jitter and noise are not released anolog until the signal is shipped to the speakers--no low pass exit filter is needed because the LAPC speaker balance control option is no joke either. It efficiently sends a customized signal to the speakers after a period of adjustment.

The Ear, Andrew Robinson, Absolute Sound, Stereophile, et al have all praised this integrated, not for what it is but for the sound and consistency it produces. I applaud Yamaha for reproducing a 1980's Integrated with a torroidal transformer that needs 200+ watts to produce 90 watts at 8 ohms (runs hot too) vs. the Technics that uses 85 watts, runs cool and produces 70 watts at 8 ohms (though benchmark testing has its peaks well above 100 due to the LAPC controls) is a more efficient and probably better long-term solution.

Let's be courteous, but let's also be accurate. Different horses for different courses, but Class D vs. Pure Digital is night and day as is pure Class A to Class A/B and/or biased amps. It's the sound--the end vs. the means, much like the Chicken or the Egg theory. In the end it's the finished product. Think sausage boys and girls and know how good it tastes vs. how it's made. Cheers. 

Post removed 
You can find a nice used Yamaha A-S2100 for about half the list price now. I just picked one up myself after several years with an A-S2000. Both amps are polite out of the box but if you leave them on for a few days, they open up nicely. The A-S2100 feels like it has better control in the low and high end. I have a harder time deciphering differences in the mid-range, but my DAC is a mere Schiit Modi Multibit (via USB from a Salk Streamplayer) so that might be why. I'm planning to find a DAC with balanced outputs down the road. Until then, I can't comment on differences between Yamaha's single-ended inputs and its balanced ones.
danimaz

You Might want to look at the more advanced but slightly less power Technics SU-G30 also, which uses the newest GaN Class-D amp technology.
It's a network server, Bluetooth, MQA as well as integrated amp and dac  
https://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class-g30/network-audio-amplifier-su-g30.html

Wi-Fi Capability

You can connect the SU-G30 to a network via a home LAN system using a cable or with a wireless configuration (IEEE802.11a/b/g/n). The built-in Wi-Fi function lets you easily connect to a network without using a LAN cable even if your PC or broadband router is set up in another room.

Bluetooth® Capability

The SU-G30 is also equipped with a Bluetooth® function that supports aptX® and AAC. This lets you stream music easily from a Bluetooth®-ready device.

MQA

This unit includes the MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) technology, which enables playback of MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording.

TIDAL, Spotify and vTuner Supported

In addition to DLNA and USB playback capability, the SU-G30 supports TIDAL, Spotify Connect and vTuner. For vTuner, use the Technics Music App to select stations and listen to a wide variety of broadcasts.

Cheers George
For that much money, you can get a wicked amp / preamp combo.
and have some scratch left for music or other stuff.  
Unless heart is set on the yammy or other integrated..?

For 3K I would go SEPERATES ,Watch audiogon for used amps. Lots show up here weekly
The Yamaha will chew up the Technics in no time. I have the A-S2100 in my house, and it is really good. The music sound very emotional, natural, and relaxing. The bass is deep and tight. It is a real deal. 
Interested to hear responses to your question. .  What is your take?  Have you done any more research?