XA7ES, Miles, Cary 301, ARC CD-1?? Direct to amp..

Hi all!

I know that this topic has been BEATEN to death and I HAVE looked through the archives, but still have questions.

I need a CDP that'll connect directly to my amp. I've seen many recommendations for the Theta Miles...is it really that good?

The Sony XA-7ES seems like a hell of a piece for the money. It also seems that there are many people using it w/o a pre with good results.

Finally, I'm intrigued by the Audio Research CD-1. Anyone have any experience with using the remote volume capability?

I'm sure that each of these players is good in its' own right, but what I'd like to know is which one (or maybe another?) would do the best job of driving an amp directly?

BTW - I'm trying not to spend much more than about $1K used. $1,300 would be the absolute MAX.

Thanks everybody!
danheather

Showing 1 response by jb7272

The response before this one would be correct and I am backing him up here . I have a Levinson No. 37 transport and have to say that if you have an onboard DAC in your preamp as I do (Lexicon DC-1) then most definitely ramp up at least to a Levinson . I bought mine without ever hearing one and have to say it far exceeded my wildest expectations of how good it would be . I have had a Theta Basic in my system and had to say it would be best used as a doorstop!!!! Also had Proceed CDP in my system and thought it to be pretty good but the Levinson is definitely the FERRARI F360 of the bunch !!! If you go Levinson you will not be sorry as to the extra money you will be missing!!!!!